Alcohol

JulesWinfield
on 8/8/15 4:19 pm

Does anybody drink post surgery? I always stayed away from alcohol as alcoholism runs in my family. And I don't really have an urge now, but I am curious about long term. Does anybody drink at social settings and if so what? 

Kathyjs
on 8/8/15 6:02 pm

12 years post op and no I don't drink. Our insides are such that alcohol goes right to our liver. I figure I was given a second chance at life. Also it's very easy to switch addictions so be careful

The Salty Hag
on 8/8/15 7:41 pm
RNY on 05/20/13

Wait until you're at goal. Any sooner and you could really screw up your liver. 

I woke up in between a memory and a dream...

Tom Petty

InTransition
on 8/8/15 9:01 pm
RNY on 09/08/14

Just once since my surgery 11 months ago, and it hurt, so I won't again any time soon.

lynnc99
on 8/8/15 10:36 pm

I don't drink (didn't before) but the risk of transfer addiction is a scary fact. And I do know a number of post ops, male and female, who have ended up battling alcoholism. It's rough. And it can hit years after the surgery. 

(deactivated member)
on 8/9/15 6:22 am

I just don't understand if you didn't drink before why would you start? This is not judgment this is a question you or anyone else reading this should ask yourself. 

iloveravens
on 8/9/15 7:23 am
RNY on 08/13/14

I don't drink but I didn't drink before surgery.  I never really liked the taste of alcohol.  I'm weird.

Lanie; Age: 43; Surgery Date (VSG): 8/12/14 w/complications resulting in RNY next day;

Height: 5' 6" SW: 249 Comfort Zone: 135-140 CW: 138 (10/13/17)

M1: -25 lbs M2: -12 M3: -13 M4: -7 M5: -11 M6: -10 M7: -7 M8: -7 M9: -3 M10: -8 M11: -4 M12: -4

5K PR - 24:15 (4/23/16) First 10K - 53:30 (10/18/15)

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 8/9/15 11:41 am
RNY on 08/05/19

Same here! I would have one shot of something in a huge glass of diet coke to disguise the taste, and finally I gave up and just went back to plain diet coke.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

White Dove
on 8/9/15 8:03 am - Warren, OH

Before surgery you are told that drinking alcohol is not to be done.  Some people understand that and do not drink alcohol.  Some people think they can push the envelope and it will not matter.

Your system has been altered and if you drink alcohol the consequences will be worse than for drinkers with a normal system.  You will damage your liver, impair your judgment, not lose the excess weight and end up with poorer health than before surgery.

Surgery is your chance to start over and do it right.  But it is not magic and you have to eat the right foods, do the exercise, abstain from alcohol, sugar, high carbs, drink plenty of water and be the happy, healthy person you were meant to be.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

T Hagalicious Rebel
Brown

on 8/9/15 10:06 am - Brooklyn
VSG on 04/25/14

The fake it till you make it slogan comes to mind when it comes to alcohol, especially during weight loss mode. If you want to fit in at social gatherings you can nurse a water,it looks like vodka anyway, or maybe a drink that's a virgin, not sure of the sugar content so be careful.

You can come up with witty sayings when people ask what you're drinking. I.E. I'm drinking common sense cuz I don't want to act a fool in public, or use a cool pick up line like I'm a designated driver, want a lift?

Ok, as far as the drinking I'm assuming you know about cross addiction, stressing an overtaxed liver, & halting your weight loss & getting drunk on a very small amount of liquor since you don't have a full stomach. 

I liked to drink b4 wls & I liked to drink after, but I have to remember the consequences of my actions if I choose to drink. At a friends retirement party I nursed one drink, all night, drank water, & held that 1 drink all night till it go****ery & I didn't want to drink it anymore, but it was something to hold in my hand as I walked around. 

No one surgery is better than the other, what works for one may not work for another. T-Rebel

https://fivedaymeattest.com/

Most Active
Recent Topics