Alcohol....ouch!

InTransition
on 8/4/15 1:35 pm
RNY on 09/08/14

I am about 11 months post-op. I am a pretty big rule-follower, and was never much of a drinker before surgery anyway.  (Seriously...super liver NEVER got drunk, so what was the point since i don't enjoy the taste of alcohol anyway.)  

Well...last night we were celebrating and a friend convinced meto do a shot of vodka.  (Go big or go home.)  This is my first alcohol in over a year, counting pre-op time.  

So the question is...holy heck, i felt like somebody punched me straight in the belly.  Like doubled over for a solid minute PAIN.  I was ok after that, and DEFINITELY felt the alcohol, but today I feel all anxious....nervous stomach.  I don't know that they are related, or if i am just worrying so much about breaking the stay away from alcohol guideline that i am doing it to myself!

So...has anybody else felt that stomach pain?  Normal?

Trust me, developing an alcohol problem is SOOO not a concern here.  I prefer not feeling like I got gut punched.  Crazy, right?

AmyDee123
on 8/4/15 1:38 pm - Lutz, FL
RNY on 06/12/15

Was it straight vodka?  Or was it a mixed shot?

The pain could be a number of things, but most likely it is a sensitivity of the tissue to the alcohol until it became from the alcohol.  The next day nervous stomach is most likely from the tissue being overly sensitive and inflamed.  This is normal for drinkers who over do it.

If it was a mixed shot it could be a reaction to all the sugar that is normally in mixed drinks.  

LapBand Weight 460 (2006) | Panni Removal Weight 200 (2008) | 3rd kid (2009)
Revision to RNY Weight 355 (June 2015)

InTransition
on 8/4/15 1:44 pm
RNY on 09/08/14

Straight shot, not mixed, although I rarely have a sensitivity to sugars.  Inflammation would make sense.  Guess I learned my lesson here.

AmyDee123
on 8/4/15 1:51 pm - Lutz, FL
RNY on 06/12/15

This worries me, honestly, cause i am not very far out and I plan on going back to the scotch tastings my husband and I do monthly.  We don't get hammered, but we belong to a scotch club and enjoy being able to taste new things and stuff.  I would hate to not be able to do that anymore.

LapBand Weight 460 (2006) | Panni Removal Weight 200 (2008) | 3rd kid (2009)
Revision to RNY Weight 355 (June 2015)

InTransition
on 8/4/15 1:55 pm
RNY on 09/08/14

It is more likely that I am just weird.  I googled and couldn't find others saying they have felt this.  Not a big loss for me, other than that drinking vodka with celebrating Russians is pretty fun...when not painful.

Thomas H.
on 8/4/15 3:09 pm - Saint Petersburg, FL

My first thought it maybe it's an indication of a small ulcer...you know how a cut stings if you could put alcohol on it. Perhaps maybe the same reaction for an open ulcer....just a thought, not any kind of medical background here. 

"Man cannot remake himself without suffering, for he is both the marble and the sculptor." - Alexis Carrel

Ariann555
on 8/4/15 3:24 pm
RNY on 06/12/15

I have had wine and it wasnt bad, I noticed if I drank it slow not much of a buzz. But when I drank it quick I was pretty buzz off of one glass. The buzz went away pretty quick thou. I had a beer on sunday I didnt feel much from that. My husband and I like to drink, not all the time but once or twice a month or at BBQ's. I am kind of scared to try the hard stuff....

meanjelly
on 8/4/15 4:50 pm

I drank a 12 oz beer over 90 min and it went down fine but I was buzzed.  before op I could drank 4 pints before a buzz

Maybe it was from the speed of drinking a shot.  that could be a lot of alcohol to take in at the short amount of time

RNY 6/26/15       HW360      SW290      GW200

selhard
on 8/4/15 6:27 pm - MN
RNY on 11/26/12

Don't know what it was, doubt if it's normal, don't think you're crazy.  But I do think your Guardian Angel is a bigger rule-follower.  GO ANGEL.

auntmimi
on 8/5/15 12:21 pm

This past weekend at my "other" job we had a order for tonic and scotch. I had never ever tried it so my boss said that the other waitress and I could each try a shot of it. I tried it....not my liking! But just the one shot and I was feeling it and the next day I noticed that food just wasnt sitting right for me, but my pouch is pretty sensitive! 

Most Active
Recent Topics