Nausea after Drinking

Summerbypass
on 8/5/15 7:36 pm

I am four weeks out from my surgery and everything I drink (room temp or cold) makes me nauseated.  Is this normal or do I need to seek medial attention from my Dr.?  This is keeping me from getting my daily fluid intake of 64oz.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cooter N.
on 8/5/15 7:49 pm

I would think its wise to call the dr. Personally when I was only 4 weeks out, I was very sensitive to temperature. Did great with hot or warm liquids but felt horrible with cold liquids. Be on the safe side and call doctor.

Surgery 2/3/15 Band to RNY Hw:272 CW:262   

H.A.L.A B.
on 8/5/15 8:00 pm

Dehydration will cause nausea. 

For a very long time only warm  drinks my pouch tolerated... She is still a ***** sometimes even now..

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Queen JB
on 8/6/15 5:36 am
RNY on 07/20/15

I felt this way a lot when I had severe GERD from LapBand complications and a hidden hernia . There is such a thing as "silent" reflux, so that you have some of the obnoxious symptoms (like nausea) without outright heartburn. I'd have a doctor check you out! 

• High Weight before LapBand: 200 (2008)
  • High Weight before RNY: 160 (2015)
  • Lowest post-op weight: 110 (2016)
  • Maintenance Weight: 120 (2017-2019)
  • Battling Regain Weight: 135 (current)

Amy H.
on 8/6/15 7:14 am - Raleigh, NC
RNY on 06/08/15

I was this way for a long time (till about week 6) and still am if I drink to much too fast. Or drink to early after eating too. Also, some artifical sweeteners make me nauseous as well. And as said, dehydration can be a big part of it.  

I would contact your dr and talk to them about it, but it is something that will most likely go away as you continue healing. Good luck!! 

Amy

banded 12/2006, slip revision 7/2013, revision to rny 6/8/2015

October2014rny
on 8/6/15 3:05 pm

I am 10 months post op and still have to drink slow. If I take a sip of a liquid without waiting that golden 30 minutes after food, I will throw up. Just imagine trying to fill up a balloon or any container that has a small opening and you can visualize how a large amount of liquid would look like trying to go into your small pouch. I really didn't worry about mine until everything that I ate or drank gave me reflux or heart burn and that is when my surgeon did an endoscopy and found a small ulcer. It was cleared up with medicine very quickly. Just pay attention to your body and read a lot and just ask when you are worried. The surgeons have seen it all and know the answers. Hope this helps

agriggs
on 8/8/15 10:12 am

Can I ask if you are only trying to drink plain water? Water is really still a problem for me. I have to add the flavor Mix ins or something to make it a bit sweeter for me to get it down. And that was never the case before the surgery. There are lots of different calorie free additions  these days, I go between crystal light miyo and Kool-Aid 0 cal!  I hate to do it because it is still fake stuff you're putting in, but it does make the water go down, as I had a lot of dehydration for a couple weeks before I started doing that.  Good luck and definitely keep on top of it, hydration and protein are the key as you know.

Height: 5'9" SW: 360 Age: 44 RNY: 5/11/15 1st month post: -25; 2nd: -19; 3rd: -19; 4th: -11; 5th: -16

Most Active
Recent Topics