Long trip 7 weeks post op...need food help!!

9forus
on 8/2/15 8:31 pm
RNY on 07/21/15

I am almost 2 weeks post op RNY.  Seem to be doing well, knock on wood.  No nausea or vomiting.  Able to get all my liquids in and I average about 65-70 grams of protein a day.  

We we will be taking our family vacation when I am 7 weeks post op.  We have a travel day of about 14 hours including a short 2 hour flight then a 7 hour flight!  What can I bring for the log flight?  I am released to "regular". Foods at 6 weeks.  I have 2 weeks if full liquid, 2 weeks puree, 2 weeks soft then advance as tolerated.

I will take my sample pack sizes of protein but what about food on the flight?  I am sure I can find stuff in the airport between the flights but that 7 hour flight has me worried!  I feel no hunger at all.  I know that won't be an issue.  

Any tips or ideas?  A cooler travel big won't be an option.

Eggface
on 8/2/15 1:45 pm, edited 8/2/15 1:47 pm - Sunny Southern, CA

Bring your empty shaker bottle and ask for milk or water for your protein packets, bring something simple if you can do chicken or tuna or salmon packets, grab a yogurt or cheese before you board don't get too adventurous stick with what is working or check your airline's menu you might be surprised... http://www.inflightfeed.com/airlines/ 

Stay hydrated... water big time. Flying dehydrates normally and we get dehydrated so much quicker especially early on (one of the 2 of the main reasons for readmittance to ER is dehydration)

Have a great time!

Weight Loss Surgery Friendly Recipes & Rambling
www.theworldaccordingtoeggface.com

White Dove
on 8/2/15 2:20 pm, edited 8/2/15 2:21 pm - Warren, OH

I pack my purse in my luggage and carry my Fitmark Lunch Box instead.  It has containers for different snacks, a awesome shaker bottle for protein shakes, place for vitamins and protein mix built into the bottle, icepacks, a shoulder strap, a strap to attach to luggage, a place for tickets, money and ID and a place outside for a bottle of water. 

There is room in the outside pocket for keys, phone, credit cards, etc. 

Mine is pink and people comment on it when I am at the airport.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00HY62C40?psc=1&redirect=t rue&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00

I use the bag for work, trips to the pool, the gym, as well as travel by air

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

beachybikegirl
on 8/2/15 11:24 pm

Do the tsa agents give you a hard time about the ice packs?  Just curious I too am about to go on a trip and wracking my brain about how to make current diet work, I am 5 weeks out and hoping I am not just living on protein bars..

RNY on 6/25/15 Height 5.8 HW/SW 247 CW 142 (Normal BMI 21.5) GW 145

Hit my Goal on 5/1/2016 going for more...

jenorama
on 8/3/15 12:47 am - CA
RNY on 10/07/13

I actually just read about this. My Dad recently started on insulin and I checked the TSA site regarding insulin and ice packs. As long as they are frozen solid and go through the X-ray, they're fine. If they're slushy, they will probably be manually checked in addition to X-ray. 

Jen

beachybikegirl
on 8/3/15 2:16 am

Thanks so much!

MickeyDee
on 8/2/15 11:01 pm

When I fly I take along some turkey jerky, high protein bars, maybe a couple of pieces of dried fruit, or an apple, and I buy a bottle of water once I'm past the security gate. 

Take a good book, and Tah Dah!  You're perfect.

Most Active
Recent Topics