My Doctor is Trying to Talk Me Into RNY Instead of the Sleeve

Jami1371
on 7/29/15 4:49 pm

Stacy,

Thank you for responding to my post.  You have given me a lot to think about.  I am the same way, I only want to go through this one time as well.  Good luck to you.  It sounds like you are doing awesome!!!!!

Jami

(deactivated member)
on 7/29/15 6:44 pm
RNY on 05/04/15

I would absolutely question those statistics. Ask for his sources. Most of what I've read shows about equal weight loss between the two procedures at 5 years post-op. My doc also talked me into the RNY when I'd been planning the sleeve, but it for for a specific medical reason (severe GERD), and the same surgeon sleeved my husband two weeks later. We're both really happy with our choices.

DivaFreida
on 7/29/15 7:17 pm

I lost 190 in 18 mos from vsg..... my dr says im the 1st pt to have thid kind of success in that time frame. Inbox me. U can do it. Wont cost nothing and you will be healthy. U got this.

christinerocks
on 7/31/15 6:23 am, edited 7/31/15 8:07 am - AZ
RNY on 04/06/15

My surgeon advised me that the weight loss stats are virtually identical for RNY and sleeve.  There are some very successful sleevers and you shouldn't be deterred by the results argument.  I initially thought the added boost of the malabsorption was significant but I came to learn, both here and from my surgeon, that those impacts are short lived and may not be as significant as was originally thought.

One reason that tipped me toward RNY was reflux/GERD/heartburn.  I suffered terribly with heartburn - I went through scary amounts of Tums/Rolaids every week.  I was never without a stash of them;  4 months later, I still find them in drawers and purses and such! Anyway, if you have a lot of heartburn or any sort of GERD, you may want to look more closely at RNY.  Some sleevers report heartburn after surgery and I knew I just couldn't bear that.  I haven't had a single moment of reflux or heartburn since surgery - its like a miracle.  There are many small and large differences between the surgeries so keep asking those questions.

There are lots of reasons why RNY was my first choice for surgery, and why it was the best choice for me, but don't let the speed of loss or amount of loss statistics be your sole guide.  Talk to post-ops of both types, and make the choice thats best for you.  Good luck!

________

137 pounds lost - from a 24/26W to a size 8/10!

GeekMonster, Insolent Hag
on 7/31/15 3:55 pm - CA
VSG on 12/19/13

I guess that makes me a two percenter 

Some surgeons are more comfortable performing one type of bariatric surgery over another.  If he's pushing you this hard, it might be the case.

My surgeon gave me the option of the RNY or sleeve.  After researching both, I knew I was more comfortable with the sleeve, even though my BMI was over 70.  I lost 100 lbs within the first six months of having surgery.

According to my surgeon, you will lose more weight initially with the RNY, but the difference at the two year point are statistically similar.  Ultimately it's your body, your decision.  If he isn't willing to accept that, find another surgeon.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

"Oderint Dum Metuant"    Discover the joys of the Five Day Meat Test!

Height:  5'-7"  HW: 449  SW: 392  GW: 179  CW: 220

Laura in Texas
on 7/31/15 4:47 pm

I believe success with the sleeve is highly dependent on the skill of the surgeon. If your surgeon only has 2% of his sleeve patients that lose more than 100 pounds, I would not let THAT surgeon perform the VSG on me. Find a doctor with a high sleeve success rate if that is the surgery you want.

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

MSW will not settle
on 8/5/15 8:25 am

I reluctantly accepted the RNY three days before my surgery.  The final decision was always mine; however, I selected this doctor specifically for the sleeve.  He felt I needed mal absorption for any real success.  My Dr was right although I had serious doubts pre op. 

Metabolic deficiencies are not uncommon among the obese.  They can be complicated by medications and chronic illneses as well.  My entire health profile led to the determination that some level of mal absorption was my best option.  A DS would have provided greater benefit, but it is too drastic for my comfort level.  RNY was a way to meet in the middle.  

In spite of mal absorption; vigorous exercise (as I have done all of my life); and sticking to my program religiously, weight loss was slow.  Included were periods of rapid weight gain even in the "honeymoon phase" plus the expected plateaus.  The sleeve would have resulted in far more frustration than I experienced.

It took 17 months to loose 97lbs and I was always faithful to my commitment.  Without mal absorption I who knows if I would have had any real success.  I know now that the DS with greater mal absorption may have spared me some of that frustration.  RNY gave me some much needed mal absorption.  

I have zero regrets about making the switch to RNY.  This was not just another option for me.  As it turned out, mal absorption was a necessity.  

Best of luck what ever your decision.  

MSW   Roux-En-Y Gastric Bypass: Eat sensibly & enjoy moderation  

Links:  Are you a compulsive eater?  for help OA meets on-line Keep Coming Back, One Day At a Time  Overeaters Anonymous 

LV'N MY RNY.  WORKING FOR ME BECAUSE I WORK FOR IT. 

Jami1371
on 8/6/15 8:39 pm

Thank you so much for responding to my post.  I am about 90% sure I am going to go with the RNY after reading posts like yours from people who have lived through it.  I just know I never want to have to go through this twice.  

Jami

Most Active
Recent Topics