Anemia

Bethprgirl
on 7/27/15 4:36 pm

I did not mean to sound insincere . I was trying to comfort you but it came out wrong. 

I had very similar symptoms and all the doctors were convinced that I was bleeding internally but a battery of tests / proved otherwise. Iron deficient anaemia is apparently  a very common result of gastric bypass. 

Sorry to have upset you, really 

Bethprgirl
on 7/27/15 6:17 am

I'm sure you are not bleeding internally. That is the good news. Hang tough 

(deactivated member)
on 7/27/15 7:05 am

My husband had the same thing last year. He had RNY about 10 years ago. He was taking NSAIDs (a lot). The black tarry stools are a sign of bleeding somewhere in the GI tract.  My husband fainted several times and he was so anemic he ended up in the ICU for 4 days. Turned out he had a bleeding ulcer and had it for a while .  He ignored the blood in the stools so it had been going on for a while.  I hope they find nd the cause to your bleeding, so it can be repaired. 

kcu53
on 7/27/15 9:46 am

Thank you for the information. Hope your husband is ok now.

kcu53
on 7/27/15 9:47 am

How was the ulcer handled??

(deactivated member)
on 7/27/15 10:13 am

He's still anemic, but it's because he's not doing what he's supposed to. He's supposed to be taking larger doses of iron and some other supplements, but he's slacking. Stay on top of your labs and appointments and you will get better. Glad you went in when you did. 

bubbosmama
on 7/27/15 1:20 pm - Canada

Even if the is no H pylori there can still be ulcers.  While it is true that 99% of ulcers are caused by h pylori, there is a small segment of the population who will be at risk of ulcers without h pylori.  I know this because I have a long and doctor confusing history of ulcers both duodenal and gastric, and have never had h pylori exposure.  I am sure the gastroscopy will identify if you have any in the new stomach, but don't let them eliminate the option entirely without getting an abdominal ultrasound, hepascope or ct scan.  Best to you

janinemarie
on 8/7/15 7:57 pm

Hello, I have the gastric sleeve and planning to do gastric bypass soon. But I also have been having trouble with my iron levels since last year.  I was down to a hemoglobin of 4 and I tried telling my doctor it was because of the weight loss surgery but he made me go for all those same test as you, which showed no bleeding anywhere.  I finally got up to 12 and now i'm back down to a 7 hemoglobin. My daughter says I look like a vampire, my skin is all pale and my eyelids are white.  I think its something some weight loss patients need to watch.  I'm wondering about the Protonix, did they find that you are bleeding somewhere?  Good luck, it probably the wls but its good to get all checked out.

Most Active
Recent Topics