Anemia

kcu53
on 7/26/15 6:27 am

I am a 62 yr old male and had Roux en y bypass in 2004. I have had great success. I had been having black, tar like stools for about 3 weeks. Then recently I had some dizziness and became very pale. I was admitted to the ER with hemoglobin at 5.2. They gave me 4 units of blood and did upper endoscopy which showed no problem and colonoscopy also with now problem. I was discharged after 3 days with hemoglobin of 8.3.  Now on Protonix to stop bleeding.  Next step is camera endoscopy to see if that shows where bleeding is coming from. Has anyone else experienced this? If so, what was the outcome?

H.A.L.A B.
on 7/26/15 10:25 am

It can number of things. Including bleeding ulcers in the remnant, blind stomach.  

I hope you find what it's going on. 

A few things that could contribute to that is smoking, alcohol and NSAIDs, or steroids... Plus a few more things. 

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

kcu53
on 7/26/15 10:30 am

Thanks for your response.  I am not a smoker or drinker and do not take NSAIDS or steroids which is puzzling. So I would imagine IF the camera endoscopy shows nothing then maybe explore the remnant stomach surgically???? 

H.A.L.A B.
on 7/26/15 11:02 am

I do believe that with be the only way. 

H-pylori, cause ulcers. Have you been tested for that?  

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

kcu53
on 7/26/15 11:47 am

Yes I was tested for H Pylori - that was negative.   All I can do is wait for the camera endoscopy which is scheduled for Aug 19 but I am working on getting an earlier appointment at another location.  Hopefully that will turn up something so I don't have to go to the old stomach!  

H.A.L.A B.
on 7/27/15 4:35 am

Good luck. 

Also make sure they run test for your levels of iron including ferritin, and vit K, B12, and copper. 

Bethprgirl
on 7/27/15 6:15 am

Hi there,

i had gastric bypass in jan 07 and  around 2011 I was diagnosed w iron deficient anaemia. After an endoscopy and colonoscopy to rule out that I was not bleeding internally they deduced it was because of the bypass. Iron pills do not work! The first doctor have me an infusion and it only held for like 6 months until my levels dropped again. I went to another much better doctor who also gave me an infusion (iv) - two treatments actually if what  I think it was Ferate and it took! He monitors my blood every 3 minted and I had this infusion 1 year ago. 

Bethprgirl
on 7/27/15 6:16 am

I'm sure you are not bleeding internally. That is the good news. Hang tough 

hollykim
on 7/27/15 11:19 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On July 27, 2015 at 6:16 AM Pacific Time, Bethprgirl wrote:

I'm sure you are not bleeding internally. That is the good news. Hang tough 

may I respectfully ask how you can be sure of that? 

Karen M.
on 7/27/15 11:24 am - Mississauga, Canada

I was wondering the same thing :/

Karen

Ontario Recipes Forum - http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/ontario_recipes/

Most Active
Recent Topics