Prenisone is not our friend!

phibbmom
on 7/25/15 11:04 am

So I know I asked a while back if anyone had taken prednisone and people gave me their feedback.  After a few days of being unable to eat, I found I have an ulcer (and thankfully there is wonderful medicine for that and now I feel almost completely normal again).

I really wish I had been more questioning before taking the prednisone and hydrocortisone for my shoulder.  Had I know there was a chance for an ulcer I never would have taken either.  I have been feeling terrible for three weeks and thankfully now am feeling better.  Even when an orthopaedic surgeon tells you there are no problems, always check with your bypass surgeon.  I feel like an idiot!  I did this to myself.

High: 295  Pre-surgery: 267  Current: 142   RNY: 10/7/14

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 7/25/15 11:43 am - OH

Sorry to hear that you had a problem with the steroids.  The chance of getting an ulcer from steroids is significantly smaller than with taking NSAIDS, so it sounds like you are one of the unlucky ones. (Many years ago, I was one of the .01% (!) of women under 25 who statistically would develop a serious complication (multiple DVTs (blood clots) in my case) from taking birth control pills, so I know how much it sucks to be the statistic!

I took cortisone injections in both my knees a couple of times a year for about 5 years and then every 3 to 4 months for another 5 years while I was trying to hold off on getting total knee replacements (and also took two short courses of oral steroids for different issues), but I didn't have any issue with ulcers.  I also have a number of RNY friends who also do routine steroid injections in their knees and none of them have developed ulcers, either. 

I think that we, as a society -- and I have been personally guilty of this at times as well --  are very quick to discount the potential side effects of the meds we take.  Most of us take meds for various things over the years and never experience any of the significant side effects, so we just take the pill or injection assuming there won't be any negative effect.

I know that there are people who have never heard that there is even a chance of ulcers from steroids who will very much appreciate your warning.

I'm glad you are feeling better.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

phibbmom
on 7/25/15 3:34 pm

I actually can appreciate the low side effect numbers too.  Unfortunately I had an allergic reaction years ago to a compazene with 1 in 200,000 rate.  I know I can be the one. 

I specifically asked him if there was any potential for ulcers.  I have been petrified of ulcers since I had the surgery.  My grandmother suffered from ulcers and other stomach issues for years and I helped care for her so I have been a little crazy about making sure I don't take any medications without checking first that there is no chance I will have a stomach issue. 

I shouldn't blame the doc, because as you are saying, most people don't have a reaction.  But had I known there was even a slight chance I would not have risked it given my family history.

Thank God for the medication they gave me to coat my stomach!!!  I feel like a new woman today!

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 7/25/15 8:42 pm - OH

I'm glad you are feeling better!  I definitely do understand wanting to have known that there was even a small risk.  

I personally think that people should get a fact sheet (like the one my pharmacist gives with every prescription) from the doctor -- hell, just open the PDR for me and let me read the potential side effects!) before they agree to try a certain medication!  

I am a little paranoid about things that can cause increased action of my blood thinner because I have had two really scary episodes of crazy high anticoagulant levels that required several units of blood and several days in the hopsital to resolve (and one time resulted in massive numbers of spontaneous bruises and some internal bleeding that had to be monitored).

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

H.A.L.A B.
on 7/25/15 10:18 pm

Sorry you deal with that. Ulcers suck.  

I take small amount of HC and prednisone daily. On the bottle there is a note: take with food. Also in the leaflet I received with them it clearly states that ulcers are one of side effects.  

In some cases, taking steroids needs to bee evaluated agains possibility of side effects. Done people can bee more sensitive than others. 

I read every leaflet for every medication I am given. 

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

phibbmom
on 7/26/15 11:11 am

I know.  I didn't read the packet enclosure because I completely trusted his word.  I know it is completely my fault and had I read it I wouldn't have taken it.  I am an idiot and really mad at myself.  I did take it with food as directed.  Honestly, while I was taking it I felt fine (other than having superhuman energy and being up all night cleaning which was a nice side effect).  I didn't feel bad until after I had completed the 6 day pack.  I guess I'm trying to save someone else who might make the same dumb mistake that I did.  Then I continued to have problems and go undiagnosed because I thought I just had an unhappy pouch.  I wasn't sure the Prednisone was it.

H.A.L.A B.
on 7/26/15 9:47 pm, edited 7/26/15 9:47 pm

You're not an idiot. We learn on our mistakes. It is called "life".

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Most Active