New to the Forum - Surgery Date 08/21/2015

braebre0308
on 7/23/15 4:45 pm

Hello everyone! I have been reading through the messages in the forum for several weeks, but with less than a month until my surgery I was hoping to get some insight on what I should be doing now to prepare. To help with suggestions here is little bit of information about myself. I am 32 year old female. I am married with 3 children. By the time my surgery rolls around the kiddos will be back in school, but my husband works 3rd shift so I am pretty much on my own once he leaves for work. I think I am mentally ready for the surgery, but I am not sure I know exactly what I will need once I get home from the hospital or what life will be like those first few weeks. Any information would be much appreciated.

“Nothing in the world is worth having or worth doing unless it means effort, pain, difficulty… I have never in my life envied a human being who led an easy life. I have envied a great many people who led difficult lives and led them well.” -Theodore Roosevelt

martitalinda
on 7/23/15 5:29 pm

Congrats on your upcoming big day ... one item I am glad I had and could not live without was my recliner ... it really helped me out the first few weeks post op... Take it easy, follow your instructions and pamper yourself... you got this!

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com

autumnsiggy2RNY 2/5/07 no regain having implemented lifestyle changes....

braebre0308
on 7/24/15 12:39 pm

Thank you for the suggestions. I am looking forward to taking some time for the first time in a long time for myself. :)

“Nothing in the world is worth having or worth doing unless it means effort, pain, difficulty… I have never in my life envied a human being who led an easy life. I have envied a great many people who led difficult lives and led them well.” -Theodore Roosevelt

Emiepie
on 7/23/15 5:34 pm
RNY on 08/11/14

Welcome and congrats on your upcoming continued journey. Of course each persons experience will be slightly different, but for me I was pretty worn out the first week. I could move around and did best sleeping sitting up due to the residual gas I had. I don't like taking pain meds so I was thankful I didn't need them when I got home (I stayed one night in the hospital). Once I was able to eat soft foods and introduce my vitamins I slowly got my energy back. I went back to work after week 3 and did just fine. I was very apprehensive to start new foods (I don't like to vomit and will just about do anything to avoid it) so I added new foods slowly. The best advice is walk, walk, walk and sip, sip, sip. Also, remember you just had surgery and even though you'll likely only have 5 small incisions your body has major healing to do on the inside. Best of luck to you.

RNY 8/11/14 with Dr. Kelvin Higa PS Lipectomy 4/12/17 with Dr. John Burnett HW291.4/CW165/GW150

braebre0308
on 7/24/15 12:54 pm

Thank you for the advice. I am very nervous about starting foods again. It's almost like being a baby again and introducing new foods. I actually just went out and treated myself to some new walking tennis shoes.

Grim_Traveller
on 7/23/15 6:20 pm
RNY on 08/21/12

It's good the kids will be back in school. Try to be as active as you can after surgery. Lots of walking. But you'll be tired a lot too, so you'll need naps. It'll be easier with the kids in school. I slept in my recliner too. It was easily the most comfortable spot.

Remember no lifting. I was told nothing heavier than a gallon of milk for 8 weeks. Activity and walking is great, lifting could be harmful.

You want some things ready, like vitamins and a protein powder you like. But don't stock up too much. Something you like now might be really yucky after surgery.

Good luck. Read and post here a lot. There are some really helpful people.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

Grim_Traveller
on 7/23/15 6:54 pm
RNY on 08/21/12

Oh, we'll also share the same surgery date, just three years apart! You'll be like my little sister.

6'3" tall, male.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

braebre0308
on 7/24/15 12:57 pm

Lol. Thanks big brother! I am hoping I can get a lot of walking in. I bought a pedometer so I can keep track of my steps. My husband and I are going to have a contest to see who can get the most steps in per day.

Grim_Traveller
on 7/24/15 12:58 pm
RNY on 08/21/12

I am addicted to my Fitbit. Best invention ever.

6'3" tall, male.

braebre0308
on 7/24/15 1:05 pm

Maybe I will treat myself to a FitBit for a reward once I hit my first goal.

Most Active
Recent Topics