Not a great Surgeon checkup

auntmimi
on 7/23/15 10:29 am

I wouldnt let it get you down! Everyone does lose at their bodies own pace. This isnt a sprint, its a marathon. My starting weight was 298. I had to do a 6 month "diet" for insurance reasons with my regular dr before they would even allow me to see the surgeon. In 8 months I lost 24 lbs. I did 3 weeks of a very strict ketogenic diet followed by a pre-op liquid diet for a week. I did not cheat one time. The day of surgery I weighed 258. So, from April 14, 2014 I have lost 123 lbs. Which if you average that out its 10.25lbs per month. Some months there was more weight loss and some months not so much. What is IMPORTANT is that you stick to plan. Try to exercise. And dont let this get you down! Now, question with your goal. Is it 202 lbs you want to get to or 202 lbs you want to lose? I started my goals at 25 lbs increments that way if I hit it quicker I would feel like I accomplished more. My goal was to weigh 150. My Dr. had the same goal. I've hit that goal and still working on it. 

Daisydoo02
on 7/23/15 11:08 am - GTA, Ontario, Canada
RNY on 11/15/13

Sorry for the crap visit. You will encounter many ******** in your life, gotta let it go.  Everyone one of us who has had WLS started at different weights, lost at different rates and ended up at different goals.  This is YOUR journey.  We are all here to support you, don't let one lady in an office wearing a white coat ruin this for you, you got this!  You are doing great.  

On a side note, I was a very slow loser, but look at me now, 20 months post op, down 132lbs from my biggest of 250 to 118lbs as of today, didn't think I would get here, but I did. Following the rules and exercising is what worked for me.  Personally I go to all of my Centre's follow up appts but I let a lot of what they say go in one ear and out the other, they can be pretty stupid at times and also contradict each other. I remember at a 3 month post op visit the NUT said to me to start eating carbs, add in potatoes and bread, I almost slapped her, I was upset as I was protein forward, no carbs (bread, rice, cereal, crackers).  Then I came on to OH, started participating in the What's on the Menu today RNYs and here I am. 

Have a good cry if you need to, let it out but then get your head back in the game, you can do this Mute!

All the best,

Daisy

Daisy 5'5" HW: 290 SW: 254 CW: 120

Nov 15, 2013: RNY - Toronto Western Hospital, Nov 2, 2017: Gallbladder removal & hernia repair

Sept 7, 2023: three +1 hernia's repaired in bowel

10+ years post op, living & loving life!

Emiepie
on 7/23/15 11:10 am
RNY on 08/11/14

Sorry to hear that you had this experience. I can't comment on how much you should loose each month but from what I have read here and heard in support group it is very different for each person but also if you continue to follow your plan it will wor****ep your head held high and stay on your path-don't let this one speed bump derail your efforts. Hoping the rest of your day is better.

RNY 8/11/14 with Dr. Kelvin Higa PS Lipectomy 4/12/17 with Dr. John Burnett HW291.4/CW165/GW150

Laura in Texas
on 7/23/15 11:20 am

From my observations here, people who lose a lot pre-op lose less at first post-op. My surgeon expected 20-30 the first month, but at least 10 a month after that. I lost nothing pre-op so I did fit that mold.

You are doing a great job. The PA is an asshole.

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

Grim_Traveller
on 7/23/15 11:35 am
RNY on 08/21/12

A lot of people have unrealistic expectations on how much we should be losing. I see 30 and 40 pounds a month being bandied about. Once in a blue moon you'll see a heavyweight lose 30, but very, very seldom. I was very happy to see 20 in a month, and I lost a lot.

If you really, truly are keeping your calories low, you'll do great. Be a machine, every day, every week, every month. The results will be there.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

mute
on 7/23/15 11:46 am
RNY on 03/23/15

I track everything with MFP so I'm truly not worried about my diet. My carbs are low, calories are low, protein could be higher but it's at least 60 a day. Exercise is my problem which I'm working on. But diet just hasn't been a problem for me since about the 2nd week or so. I mean, every once in a while I crave something like french fries (like today) but I obviously didn't have them or even a potato. But my weight loss is more like 2 pounds a week recently. Which I've been fine with until now.

Grim_Traveller
on 7/23/15 1:11 pm
RNY on 08/21/12

Don't sweat the exercise. Try for as much activity as you can. But weight loss is all about the food. A lot of pele here are active, but don't do formal exercise. I find that very few people go to the gym long term.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

Laura in Texas
on 7/24/15 4:21 am

Do not stress yourself out about the exercise. I did absolutely no exercise until month 7 and still got to goal. I had lost 100 pounds by then and my knees no longer hurt. Focus on the food and maybe walking. Do you have a fitness tracker like a fitbit? I love mine. It is an easy reminder for me to get off my butt and walk. Numbers don't lie.

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

mute
on 7/24/15 7:19 am
RNY on 03/23/15

I do and I use it but am not a convert like most people who have one. Maybe that will change once I start moving a bit more. Not going to lie, I do very little right now and I know that has to change - my goal has been to start amping up the exercise piece once I get under 300 pounds which will be very soon. 

Nerdy_girl
on 7/26/15 9:02 am - MD
On July 24, 2015 at 7:19 AM Pacific Time, mute wrote:

I do and I use it but am not a convert like most people who have one. Maybe that will change once I start moving a bit more. Not going to lie, I do very little right now and I know that has to change - my goal has been to start amping up the exercise piece once I get under 300 pounds which will be very soon. 

As everyone has said, it sounds like you are doing a fantastic job on the weight loss and you should ignore Nurse Negative-Nancy and move on.

Regaring the Fitbit, I wonder if you are "not a convert" because it is not giving you encouraging feedback.  The default setting is 10,000 steps, which is an oft-used default with no scientific underpinnings that has nothing to do with your specific needs.  You can, and should, change the goal to meet your needs.

What worked for me was doing a week of baseline setting: wear it for a week but just do your normal activities. Don't try to be more active. My baseline was 4,000. 

Once I had my average steps (from walking around the house, walking to meetings at work, commuting, etc) I added 1,000 steps to that number, and tried to consistently hit that for a few weeks.  I would walk to the further water fountain or bathroom at work, do two or three random "laps" around the hallways at work (carrying a notebook or a water bottle so people just thought I was on my way to a meeting).  I didn't bother with anything that would seem like "work" and likely lead to failure like making myself take the stairs or go for a walk outside.  I just found small things that were "easy" and "simple" and not at all annoying. 

Once I'd hit the extra 1,000 steps for a while, I upped it by 1,500 (to 6,500) and then after a bit, by another 1,500.  I'm now at the point where I kind of enjoy going for a walk outside and actually take the stairs and it's not a chore.  

I am also regularly going to the gym now (2-4 times a week) but I'd never have thought I'd get here.  I'm not going to say I love exercise (I secretly believe that anyone who says they do is a liar), but I no longer HATE it, and that's a big change.  

Trackers like the fitbit can be a really helpful tool if you make it work for you.  Just don't get sucked into thinking your goals should be the same as everyone else's, or should meet some arbitrary standard (kinda like the pounds per month nonsense).  

I hope that's helpful.

HW: 417 | 2003 RNY: 138 loss | 2015 Revision SW: 279

Most Active
Recent Topics