Home Alone after surgery

Queen JB
on 7/23/15 5:24 am
RNY on 07/20/15

Hi, any one else single and live alone after surgery? I came home from the hospital yesterday (surgery was Monday). My mom stayed for an hour and helped make sure I had everything I needed, but now I'm on my own. 

So far it's been okay alone. Woke up in lots of pain but I was able to get up and get meds on my own. I reapplied bandages around the drain in the middle of the night, too. This morning I made my shake and I'm walking around the house. No problems at all.

The only thing I'm worried about is showering. I'm worried about falling! And I don't think I could manage a bath because I don't think I could get up from that position on my own.

Has anyone else done this on their own? Just wondering where you needed help, or if it was all easy to do on your own?

aesposito
on 7/23/15 5:29 am

I would have killed to be alone.  My ex took the kids for a day, but after that I had to be a mom... and being a mom does nothing for surgery recovery, believe me....

As for showering, that's a valid fear as I remember my blood pressure dropping a lot when I stood for too long.  Do you have a friend who could stop by while you shower?

Audrey

Highest weight: 340
Surgery weight: 313
Surgery date: 10/24/11
Current weight 170... 170 pounds lost!!!!

I am not a doctor, but I play one at work.

mamata2
on 7/23/15 5:47 am

Definitely have some one around when you shower.  I remember screaming for my hubbie during my first shower because I thought I was going to pass out.  I didn't but much better safe than sorry.  Good luck and take care of yourself.  

chulbert
on 7/23/15 5:53 am - Rochester, NY
RNY on 01/21/13

I think you should generally be just fine.  If your experience is anything like mine you'll be up and walking about a ton while still in the hospital.  At home you'll be slow, tired, and uncomfortable but you should be mostly self-sufficient.  Just no lifting heavy things!

mschwab
on 7/23/15 10:17 am
RNY on 11/21/14

I live alone, so was on my own after surgery.  I do have a close friend that lives a couple of blocks away, so she would check in on me and walk me around the block (walking Miss Daisy), but most of the time I was alone.  I felt pretty good after surgery, so I didn't have any problems or need any help and I liked not having anyone hovering over me.  You should be fine, but make sure you call for help if you need it.

Height: 5'7".  HW: 299, Program starting weight: 290, SW: 238, CW 138 - 12 pounds under goal!  

Queen JB
on 7/23/15 10:39 am
RNY on 07/20/15

Thanks everyone!

i had a friend come over while I showered and we went for a quick walk, too.

Im surprised by how good I feel! I remember being in much worse shape after my lapband surgery and this time it was: lapband removal, plus RNY, plus hernia repair. I was expecting to be down for the count for much longer...

zann50
on 7/23/15 12:09 pm

I too was alone after the first 24hrs...not too bad!  Actually, I do better by myself when recovering from any surgery.  To include knee replacements x2.  I had someone to call if things became more than I could handle. 

I am happy you are doing so well.  I think it is great!!

Zann

VGS- 2015

Jennifer K.
on 7/23/15 11:01 am - Phoenix , AZ

I had surgery on a Tuesday, I think my Dad stayed thru Saturday or Sunday... I pretty much slept and didn't need him around. I went back to work that Monday.

First visit to surgeon - 288 ~ bmi 45.1
2 week pre-op 252 ~ bmi 39.5
Total lost - 153 Since surgery - 117!
Goal weight - 155 (mine) 180 (surgeons)
Current weight - 135 (2020 I lost 10lbs due to dedicating myself to working out more and being in better shape)

Extended TT, lipo, fat injections - 11/2011

BA/BL/Arm Lift - 7/2014

Scar revision on arms - 3/2015

HALO laser on arms/neck 9/2016

Thigh lift 10/2020

Queen JB
on 7/23/15 12:58 pm
RNY on 07/20/15

Wow, back to work in under a week? 

I feel like I'll be fine to go back in 2 weeks, if everything keeps up so well, but I plan to take all 3 weeks, just to be sure I am fully rested and that I am getting in all the shakes and water in the right timeframe--that's like a full time job, in itself! 

(deactivated member)
on 7/23/15 8:16 pm
RNY on 06/30/15

Single and live alone,  here,  too! I'm 3.5 weeks out now.  I've been alone since released from the hospital.  In the days following surgery,  as I did new or "scary" things,  I would just call or text someone to let them know what I was about to do,  then let them know when I was done.  That way if I took too long, they could check on me.  I've been lucky with no issues or complications!  Smooth sailing here!  Just follow your surgeon's after care instructions,  and also listen to your body and you should be fine.  How exciting!  Enjoy your journey! 

Most Active