Narcotics/Motrin/Prednisone/Pain/Bronchitis/Asthma

kerbear1969
on 7/23/15 4:01 am - MD

I know a few RNY'ers that are now addicted to narcotics  When  asked what happened they told me that they are not allowed to use any anti inflammatories, Motrin so their previous pain (car accident injury, slipped disc, pulled muscle) that the only they could take was narcotics or tylenol, therefore got so used to taking narcotics.

The other issue is prednisone, when I get bronchitis its the go to medication for asthmatics, what do post op patients with asthma/bronchitis flareups do?

chulbert
on 7/23/15 5:50 am - Rochester, NY
RNY on 01/21/13

I'm not aware of any specific concern regarding prednisone and RNY patients.  If you took it before you can take it after.

Sndsojourn
on 7/23/15 8:42 am

Though I am pre-surgery, I have a good friend whose RNY was done in 2004. She has told me that when she uses prednisone she needs to take it with Prevacid as a stomach protectorate. 

That said, it is always best to discuss this and all medical questions with your bariatric surgeon.

Grim_Traveller
on 7/23/15 9:29 am
RNY on 08/21/12

Maybe it varies by region, but it is very rare to get a scipt for any kind of narcotic around here anymore. They hand them out with an eyedropper, and keep track to make sure addicts don't try to get them from multiple sources. The only way to get hooked around here is if they get them illegally.

Their real issue may not be pain, but transfer addiction. Some drink, some gamble. It's an issue anyone having WLS needs to be aware of.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

Most Active