Meetings

danie11e
on 7/22/15 6:22 pm

Good Evening!

I had surgery back in March - and I've never felt better! The hospital I had surgery at offers support groups once a month, and I attend as often as possible. However, with work, kids, and summer activities I am forced to miss them. I have searched high and low to find more meetings, but it seems most places you have to have gone through their program.

I have thought about joining weigh****chers for the meetings, despite not having any interest in following their program - as my tools and program are working great for me. Has anyone done this? While the meetings are not bariatric specific, I wonder if they might be helpful? I loved getting up on Saturday mornings and going at 7:30 A for a meeting before the husband and kids woke up, and I'm wondering if going again would help fill that "void" I'm having.... I welcome any thoughts or ideas anyone might have :) thanks!!

RNY 03/02/2015

I'm worth it!

(deactivated member)
on 7/22/15 7:03 pm

This website is a great place to come for support. There are a ton of vets who can help. Just ask questions they are great here. 

Pokemom
on 7/22/15 2:58 pm, edited 7/22/15 2:58 pm
RNY on 12/29/14

I can commisserate!  I have also had trouble getting to my monthly local support meetings.  They are only offered one particular night each month, right at dinner time, and a 45-min drive each way.  I also have 4 children, and the regular support night is always the same night as my teens have a regular youth group meeting.  Summer has made it all the harder...vacation, etc.

i do really love this web site, and I check it at least once/day.  However, I also like the face to face support groups.  I feel more accountable in them, and they have a social worker who leads the discussions and challenges us and offers advice.  

I have not tried WW since surgery, but I did try going to a local meeting of Overeaters Anonymous.  I really loved that experience.  It was very moving because the others there were warm and honest; I felt much love and no judgement.  I intend to go back.

lynnc99
on 7/22/15 10:25 pm

OA might be a better fit. I know one post op who attends regularly and also facilitates a bariatric support group. The two are very compatible. My guess is that WW might cast a sidelong glance at a post op, since their whole marketing plan is to have people lose weight using their program. And the rate  at which you lose would def stand out in a WW meeting! 

selhard
on 7/22/15 8:38 pm, edited 7/22/15 8:53 pm - MN
RNY on 11/26/12

Edited to preface I realize there's successful WLSers that don't feel the need to attend meetings, but you stated a void, so here's my two cents...  I was told attending WLS support group increases long-term success.  I believe that for me, attend regularly, drive long distances to attend other support groups, come on OH almost daily, and think any kind of meeting is better than nothing. DO IT, JUST DO IT.

H.A.L.A B.
on 7/23/15 4:40 am

Try it for a few months. Go and do it.  

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Grim_Traveller
on 7/23/15 6:04 am
RNY on 08/21/12

Meetings are good.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

chulbert
on 7/23/15 6:13 am - Rochester, NY
RNY on 01/21/13

One complication is that awards and recognition are a big part of the Weigh****chers program and I might feel a little uncomfortable having the additional advantage of RNY fueling my success.  You'll probably be getting a 5-pound award every week or two and that's going to make people swarm all over you, asking how you do it.

If I were you I would politely ask to keep your progress private and abstain from the award process.

Kathyjs
on 7/23/15 12:18 pm

As a 12 year vet this is my advice. We are your support . That. 'Time for you' you are tail ing about I understand . I ride a bike for hour and a half to two hours a day always at the same time . Pre op I went to the Y swimming. Find an exercise you like and make that YOUR time

Most Active