Waiting for approval...

terri101b
on 7/22/15 1:58 pm - Brunswick,, OH

Anyone have medical mutual of ohio.  paperwork all in for 7 days now and still no approval  .having surgery at cleveland clinic..how long does medical mutual take to give approval

ecm1109
on 7/23/15 5:40 am

Hi! I have MMO and had my surgery at the Clinic with Dr. Schauer.   I think it was about a 10 day turn around but I had to call MMO and follow up with the Clinic as some pieces were not completed.  I had my first appt in October 2013 and Surgery in April 2014.  Good luck to you on this journey and feel free to message me with any questions or if you need support. I will tell you that the nursing staff on the bariatric floor was awesome.  The nurses and the aides were attentive and helpful.  I  was in for two nights and discharged after the swallow test.   I was readmitted about 3 weeks later with a stricture and again received excellent nursing care.  My only complaint (and it is really a minor thing overall) is that it can be a real pain in the neck to schedule appointments if you don't do it while you are there at the office.  It is not easy to call in and try and get an appointment!

All the best to you!  

Eileen 

terri101b
on 7/23/15 8:37 am - Brunswick,, OH

Wow...eileen..my dr is dr schauer also...10 days that is almost here..so keeping my fingers crossed..with my special cir****tances  as soon as we get the approval i will be having surgery..they put me on the 2 week  liquid protein diet last wed so when the approval is final..i will be ready for the surgery...yes any tips would be awesome tyvm

ecm1109
on 8/19/15 12:39 pm

Hi, 

I just wanted to follow up and see if you had your surgery yet and how you were doing.  Hope all is well!

Let me know how you are doing and if you have any questions. 

Eileen

terri101b
on 8/19/15 2:35 pm - Brunswick,, OH

We ran into a few problems,, mm was missing a form and a had to have another visit with Dr..so I finally was approved Aug 12..my surgery date is Dec 7 th...since school just started back I have to wait till then as to use my Christmas break and 2 weeks b4 as recovery..this way I only miss 2 weeks of work and 2.5 weeks on break...thank you got asking..I am sure I will be asking got a lot of advice since I live alone..and don't have the help ..thx again

ecm1109
on 8/20/15 5:56 am

Glad you are scheduled and that it can fit into your school break.  I took two weeks off from work.  Of course everyone is different.  My friend took a full six weeks off from work.   I probably would have returned to work earlier if I had the drains removed.  I never had any type of surgery before and I had no idea what to expect, but I did not expect to have the drains still in me when I went home from the hospital.  They removed the drain at my 10 day follow up appointment.  Also, when I first went home, it was easiest for me to sleep in the recliner.  I drank the premier protien shakes for about the first week or so and now can't stand them!!  I get my protein mostly from food and average about 60-75 grams daily.  I have lost a total of 125  lbs from my highest weight (287)and could not be more pleased about my decision to have this surgery.

Use this time now to start learning a new way of eating.   Protein first, veggies second, waiting 30 minutes after you eat to drink anything.   If you drink pop, now is the time to start weaning yourself.  If you drink coffee, start drinking decaf.  Figure out what you like to drink that has NO caffeine, No calories and no carbonation.  I always put the MIO drops in my water.  It seems like a lot, but you just have to embrace it and know that feeling better inside and out is so worth it. Also, you should begin recording your food intake, so that you can track your protein, I use the my fitness pal app and love it.     

I live near downtown and am always looking for "workout buddies" if you are ever interested in meeting up for a walk (or now I RUN!). 

All the best!

Eileen 

terri101b
on 8/20/15 8:17 am - Brunswick,, OH

Thx Eileen...I am for sure gonna follow your advice...get a head start on doing those,,then I will be used to it after surgery...I live in brunswick..I am stocking up on my vitamins I will need.and getting those premium protein shakes..wow.I don't have a recliner..any other suggestions got help with that

terri101b
on 8/20/15 8:19 am - Brunswick,, OH

Thx Eileen...I am for sure gonna follow your advice...get a head start on doing those,,then I will be used to it after surgery...I live in brunswick..I am stocking up on my vitamins I will need.and getting those premium protein shakes..wow.I don't have a recliner..any other suggestions got help with that

Most Active