Newby question if you don't mind

Michele816
on 7/23/15 7:42 am

I am almost 5 years out and I can say with confidence that you can lose the weight you need/want if you stick with the program.  My weight at surgery was 364 (highest was 379) and I lost 226 pounds.  I had a 10% regain between years 2 and 3, but have maintained my weight (160 +/- 5 pounds) since then.  I am currently trying to drop 15-20 pounds so that my BMI is in the healthy range(right now it is slightly over). It goes much slower now, but it is coming off (6 pounds in 5-6 weeks).  After your first 6 weeks (once the various stages are done), you must keep your protein high and your carbs low as well as increasing your caloric intake gradually.  Keep a food journal.  I use My Fitness Pal.  I started around 500 calories and gradually worked my way to 1200 after 18 months.  My protein gradually increased so that I was eventually consuming at least 100 grams and I kept my carbs under 50 grams for approximately 8 months and then increased them to get my total caloric up without overdosing on protein and fat.  When I tried to introduce a larger percentage of carbs (120-140 grams) when I got to maintenance I gained weight so now I keep my carbs under 50 2 days a week and under 100 the rest of the week (to lose weight).  

I hope this helps.

frhoffard
on 7/23/15 2:00 am, edited 7/23/15 2:01 am
RNY on 11/12/15

Thanks Michele816,  I've been working on increasing the protein and cutting back on carbs.  I use "Lose It" right now on my phone for my food journal and most days I'm taking in between 60-80 grams of protein right now; yesterday I actually had 97.1 grams of protein and only 24.5 grams of carbs (and those were from raw veggies yay me).  I've been doing the food journal for over a year now and I can really tell a difference in what I eat now and what I ate then.  Thanks again.

?Accept responsibility for your life. Know that it is you who will get you where you want to go, no one else.? ? Les Brown

NoDaybut2Day
on 7/23/15 8:07 pm - CA
RNY on 07/03/14

You can absolutely make it to your goal!!!!!!  It depends on how strictly you follow your surgeon's food plan.  I went to my one year check up meeting with others who were also at the one year mark.  I have lost over 120 pounds from my consultation.  The closest person to me was at just under 70 pounds lost.  Over 50 pounds difference because they all said they eat things that are definitely NOT on the plan and they snack!!  I never snack!  I haven't had any processed sugar since surgery.  I get in my protein.  All those things they tell you to do, believe them!  I do have carbs but they are 90% fresh fruits with a small serving of potato or bread on the week-ends so I don't feel deprived.  I'm just over a pound over the goal weight I set the morning I was rolled into surgery.  I lowered it 10 pounds about a month after surgery so that I'd have some bounce back room.  I expect I'll get there in September.  It gets slower but keeps coming off.  STICK TO IT and you'll be fine!  BEST OF LUCK!

HW: 308,  CW: 261,  SW: 240,  Now: 135.8  M1: -23.4  M2: -12.0 M3: -10.2 M4: -10.0 M5: -9.0  M6: -10.0  M7: -2.0  M8: -6.8  M9: -7.6 M10: -4.6 M11: -3.6  M12: -3.7  M13: -1.2

Most Active
Recent Topics