Repost from Nutrition: Protein Shake Feedback?

sor09
on 7/23/15 10:50 pm

I skipped the shakes too. I added whey protein to hot coco and teas for a long time before going to the next stages. I progressed through the food list slower than a turtle, but with that being said YTD no regain and no complications. I concentrated on hydration, protein, and vitamins. The extra stuff about food became less of the matter, since now food is just for living, instead of living for the food.

Felicity Q.
on 7/24/15 11:29 am
DS on 09/28/15

What did you do instead of shakes?

My reasoning for trying to focus on at least 1 shake/day is that I have never been a breakfast person, or one to wake up and eat within the first 6-8 hours or so.  So far, I have been able to make myself a shake and have it within an hour, which I thought would be better than nothing.

Lap-Band 2011 | DS Revision 9/28/15 | HW: 380 in 2011 | GW: 140

Blog: http://felicitywls.blogspot.com/ | Twitter: @FelicityQ13

sor09
on 7/24/15 4:15 pm

For a long time I really ate nothing BUT I had a BMI 50+, so I had a lot to get rid of. RNY left me not hungry for food, and with that being said, I made sure I got protein in every 6 hrs. My work around for nutrition and hydration is to used 15-20 ounces of ho****er to one package of hot chocolate SF style, and add 15 grams of whey protein.... I usually mix them in a small amount of cold water first so there are no clumps later. Adding the warmer to ho****er... sip slowly. I did this 3x to 4x a day and my daily vitamins. This got me a minimum 45 grams of protein and 45 to 60 ounces of fluids for hydration. I got the extra hydration in between things. I was prepared for head hunger via coping skills and it was a blessing, and still is. I did this modified meal plan, and slowly introduced strained cream soups, but still made sure protein levels where there via whey added. I slowly introduced things as were allowed from the Bariatric food lists found free on web sites too.  Flavorless whey can be added to anything. "Bariatric Choice" is where I shop for supplies, and they are online. This exactly what I did to manage the beginning post op RNY and I hope it helps you too. Best wishes.

Felicity Q.
on 7/24/15 11:32 am
DS on 09/28/15

Thanks so much already for the replies. I appreciate it so much! 

I think I will just keep it simple with unsweetened soy milk and protein powder. Meaning it's about 190 Calories for 30g protein in the shake.

Lap-Band 2011 | DS Revision 9/28/15 | HW: 380 in 2011 | GW: 140

Blog: http://felicitywls.blogspot.com/ | Twitter: @FelicityQ13

CGCL
on 7/24/15 5:41 pm
RNY on 02/19/15

I used to do Syntax Matrix Milk Chocolate mixed with water, used as creamer in decaf iced coffee. No extra milk or sweetener needed. However, that was in my pre op days. My RD told me she advises people to drink the shakes only when they want to stop losing weight. I'm not in maintenance yet, and they're pretty yucky to me now, so hooray!

Height: 6'0" HW 5/2013 295. Consult 7/29/14 275. SW 261. RNY 2/19/15. M1:-33! M2:-13.5. M3:-12. M4:-10.8. M5:-9.7. M6:-5. M7: -4.5. Pregnant 8/15-5/16. 10 weeks post partum: 173.

Most Active
Recent Topics