Gastric banding revision to RNY

(deactivated member)
on 7/22/15 12:27 am - ABU DHABI, United Arab Emirates

I had my gastric revision operation one the 1st of Jun 2015 and until now I lost almost 28 lb. my problem now start after almost two month from operation, I feel the my appetite is high and I want to eat every two to three hours and sometime less although I try to drink water when I feel hunger but after one hour I feel hungry again. Also, I feel I can tolerate to eat like one sandwich contain ham and cheese within 10 min without pain or diarrhea. I can swallow meat, chicken and all the solid food and I was wondering within this short period and my small pouch I should vomit if I can eat those staff. I asked my surgeon and he said that it’s different from people who had the RNY for the first time from the people who did the revision in weigh losing, I can understand that but how about the ability of eating and the appetite toward eating. Actually I am an emotional eater so I am freak that my RNY will not success I have done enough with gastric endoscopy and I don’t want to try it again. So is anybody had a conversion? And how was the eating portion? How often they feel hungry? I hope somebody can answer my question and give me the support because really I am leaving in a nightmare.

Ashley in Belgium
on 7/22/15 6:57 am - Belgium
RNY on 08/08/13

Did you have a Lap Band before and have now revised to RNY?  

I recommend that you spread out your days worth calories over 5 or 6 meals to deal with your hunger.  And as a very wise OH poster often says - hunger isn't an emergency so you can wait an hour or tow for the next "meal" :)

I would also recommend that  you eat dense protein first - by that I mean, chicken breast, lamb, steak whatever sounds good to you.  Portion it out and stick to it. I was eating at 2 months out of my revision about 60g portion of protein a meal.  At 2 years out I eat about 120g per meal if that.  Your nerves may not be completely healed from the surgery so you may not feel "full" but you should have a care not to over eat at each sitting waiting to feel that sensation.  I never feel hunger, and I also don't feel full.  I just eat what I need to and then go on to something else.

Stay hydrated and make sure the hunger you feel isn't actually acid in your stomach.  I took an acid suppressor for almost a year and I think that helped be a lot.  Good luck - stick around this is a great place to get support and information!

Revision Band to RNY 8/8/13 5'4" HW 252 Lbs / SW 236 Lb / GW 135 lb / CW 127

Most Active