Weak and tired

Cristinahdz
on 7/21/15 5:18 pm

My surgery was 8 days ago and I feel tired and weak most of the time, is this normal? 

99-DS
on 7/21/15 6:15 pm
RNY on 04/09/15

Definitely.  Your body just went through a major surgery.  I dealt with exhaustion for about 6 weeks.  One day I had great energy and went for a walk and didn't think I'd be able to make it back!  It gets better.  Give your body time to adjust and heal.

Thomas H.
on 7/21/15 6:58 pm - Saint Petersburg, FL

I am just over a month since my surgery, I was exhausted for the first two weeks after. I just wanted to sleep all the time. Just this week have I felt some of my energy coming back. But I have noticed that doing little things does tired me out. Went swimming this weekend at a friends house and I was yawning all the way home like I ran a marathon. The energy does come back. Give it time. 

"Man cannot remake himself without suffering, for he is both the marble and the sculptor." - Alexis Carrel

DanaDenise
on 7/21/15 8:23 pm

People kept reminding me that it takes a couple weeks for the anesthesia to get completely out of your system.  I had many friends who had completely different surgeries that struggled with it.  You have to slowly get your stamina back.  Don't stop trying, but be patient with yourself.  I found that after the first 5 days that I would have energy about every other day.  I think I'd be active (relatively speaking) one day, and then need the next day to recover!

Cristinahdz
on 7/21/15 9:20 pm

Thanks! That gives me a huge relief, I thought that I'd be out of breathe forever.

miss_moneypenny
on 7/21/15 9:55 pm

Thanks for the question!  I'm 6 days out and only took 2 days off from work, but was wondering exactly the same thing!  I feel pooped out just walking from parking lot into work!  I was concerned also as I haven't been able to keep up with my protein intake and thought it was a factor too. 

Most Active