A few iron questions

AmyDee123
on 7/20/15 5:08 am - Lutz, FL
RNY on 06/12/15

So, my iron ran out and i went to the store to pick up some more.  There were a lot of options and I know there are several types we should stay away from.  I picked up the Feresol Complete since it said that it has heme-based iron.  My doc had mentioned that this is the best.  So here are my questions:

1. The website says I don't need to take it with Vit C cause it absorbs so well.  Should I take some just in case?

2. Should I still double the dosage?  It very clearly warns not to take over the recommended dosage.

3. Do I still take it away from calcium?  How long should I wait till after I take or eat anything with calcium in it?

4. If I am absorbing this better than what I was taking before, should I notice more energy?  (I'm still lacking energy REALLY bad)

LapBand Weight 460 (2006) | Panni Removal Weight 200 (2008) | 3rd kid (2009)
Revision to RNY Weight 355 (June 2015)

hl1524
on 7/19/15 11:52 pm, edited 7/19/15 11:59 pm - Austin, TX

I can't say I have answers for your iron related questions, but I will say it took at least 3 months before my energy levels were back to normal.  

RNY 8/27/2014

Grim_Traveller
on 7/20/15 7:15 am
RNY on 08/21/12

Heme iron is good. I would still take it with vitamin C. I would take the recommended amoun****ch future labs closely, and adjust up or down as needed. Always take calcium at least two hours apart from iron. Other things also interfere with iron absorption, such as tea, coffee, most grains, soy, etc. Most of us take iron before bed, apart from anything else.

Were your iron or ferritin levels low before? Your lack of energy can be from lots of things, not just low iron.

If you have labs done regularly, I wouldn't worry too much about having iron too high. Some vitamin levels go up or down easily and quickly with small adjustments. Iron is not one of them. It usually takes much larger doses for much longer to get small increases. Many people end up needing iron infusions, because oral supplements have such little impact.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

AmyDee123
on 7/20/15 7:29 am - Lutz, FL
RNY on 06/12/15

My doctor said before surgery my iron levels were great.  I ate a lot of beef and spinach.  I guess that's why.  But when I saw her last she said it was too soon to do labs again (I had just had them 3 weeks after surgery and she said things were lower, but not dangerous yet, and i was not yet tolerating the vitamins.)  She said she wanted me to switch to a more absorbable iron and worries about anemia.  She said that it might be contributing to my lack of energy.

I know i am being anxious and impatient with my energy levels, but i HATE being sedentary.  I work a desk job from home.  I have lots of opportunities to move around during the day and do a lot of things, but unfortunately I just have no energy to do it.  I feel lazier than before i had the surgery.  That coupled with going from 2 gallons of water a day to barely 64 ounces is killing me!  I feel like my slow loss is because of this.  Its driving me up the wall.  If iron supplements can help bring back even a little bit of that energy I will be happy.  I see people with shorter time since surgery than me and they are biking miles and walking miles, weight training, etc.  

Felicity Q.
on 7/20/15 9:30 am
DS on 09/28/15

Hi Amy,

My home situation is the same as yours - I telecommute full-time so I sit at my desk 8 hours/day. I get up regularly to get a drink, do housework, etc but I am anxious about how I am going to get up and move around more after my RNY surgery. Let me know if you come up with any ideas that work for you once you have your energy back!

Lap-Band 2011 | DS Revision 9/28/15 | HW: 380 in 2011 | GW: 140

Blog: http://felicitywls.blogspot.com/ | Twitter: @FelicityQ13

AmyDee123
on 7/20/15 9:42 am - Lutz, FL
RNY on 06/12/15

Send me a friend request.  We can keep in touch over it.  I know that telecommuting sets up some very different obstacles for people.

Most Active