Protein powder vs mental

HKT53
on 7/19/15 7:55 pm - Toronto, Canada

I beginning to feel I have a mental control on what I can swallow. Eight days out and it's the same thing every day. A little protein water...OK a little protein shake with no more than 30 g per serving...I can take a table spoon or two. Veg soup strained...ok.

as soon as I sprinkle protein powder on soup or oatmeal...I want to vomit. If I make a shake with higher than 30 grams per serving...I vomit. Today I tried Turkey broth and I couldn't keep it down.

im sticking to protein water because I need to stay hydrated. Before surgery I have been two years drinking my food and only vegetable juices. Have I got a mental block.

Cooter N.
on 7/19/15 9:45 pm

I can't say for sure it is only a mental block, but I was grossed out bad by the protein powder that I added to food. It made me nauseous to even think about it. Blah!!! Just be super careful that you get in your water and that you continue to monitor your intake. You might need to talk to your NUT.

Surgery 2/3/15 Band to RNY Hw:272 CW:262   

SkinnyScientist
on 7/20/15 9:53 am

I agree with her. If the protein powder has a bad taste or smell it will make you want to puke.

I had this cinnamon flavored one. It tasted fine as a powder (so it was great to hide in oatmeal) but the minute it hit a liquid it would make a smell that smelled like snot. And then I would gag.

Hiding in oatmeal and pudding was the ONLY way I was able to use that tub up. I certainly didnt drink it.

RNY Surgery: 12/31/2013; 

Current weight (2/27/2015) 139lbs, ~14% body fat

Three pounds below Goal!!! Yay !  

miss_moneypenny
on 7/20/15 12:24 am

Ditto :/ fairly certain not getting all the protein I'm supposed to.

lynnc99
on 7/20/15 7:09 am

At 8 days out you are still very much in a recovery mode. So don't be hard on yourself if you can't get in all the protein in just yet. Here's what I'd suggest:

Stick with what you CAN easily manage. If liquid protein drinks work best, do that. You're not obligated to put protein on other foods. (I never, ever did this). 

Focus on sipping and staying hydrated. Lots of water!

Start moving with gentle walks. 

A shake with more than 30 gm of protein is - yikes! - kind of a shake on overdrive! Dilute your shake mixes a little more. Add some flavorings you like.  Drink in small amounts and keep the rest cold. Maybe alternate sipping on a shake with sipping water.    

Listen to your body. Eat what goes down and what agrees with you at each stage of the game. Add gently. 

My pre op psychological eval included a session with the psychologist where he cautioned me about food aversions post op, especially if something makes us feel sick. This isn't likely your issue already, but if you are vomiting you may in fact be wanting to avoid certain foods to avoid vomiting again. 

Felicity Q.
on 7/20/15 9:21 am
DS on 09/28/15

My surgeon said that any more than 30g of protein per hour is not recommended because the body can only absorb about that much per hour.

Are you only mixing your powders with water or foods? Have you tried nonfat milk? That, coupled with finding the right powder (Gold Standard Whey) was the solution for me.

Lap-Band 2011 | DS Revision 9/28/15 | HW: 380 in 2011 | GW: 140

Blog: http://felicitywls.blogspot.com/ | Twitter: @FelicityQ13

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 7/20/15 10:11 am - OH

According to the ASMBS, there  is no evidence that the body only absorbs the particular amount of protein at one time.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 7/20/15 10:17 am - OH

I definitely think there is at least some psychological component (but it probably isn't ALL psychological).

There's no reason for you to make a shake with more than 30 g of protein in it, though. That would gross me out too... either it would be way too thick (and disgusting for that reason,) or there would be just way too much of it (and it would be disgusting for that reason)!  It really is better to space your protein out during the day, anyway.

When you say that you sprinkle protein powder on soup and such, do you stir it up or do you just leave it sprinkled on top? No way could I take in ANY protein powder if it wasn't thoroughly mixed into the soup or whatever.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Most Active