Blood donation

DanaDenise
on 7/18/15 12:29 pm

I will check this wth my doctor, but thought somebody may have experienced this.  My friend needs transfusions after being in an accident and I'd like to donate blood if possible.  Does anyone have any experience or knowledge with this?

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 7/18/15 3:52 pm - OH

My surgeon did not want her patients to give blood on any kind of regular basis because we have a harder time recuperating/replenishing than non-ops.  She did NOT say, though, that we couldn't do a one-time donation.

You do know, though, that in most cir****tances when you donate blood, it doesn't go directly to the person involved (even if your blood types match or are compatible), right?  After undergoing the required screenings (HIV, etc.) it just goes to replenish the general supply.  (I have never heard of an insurance policy that did not cover the cost of a patient receiving blood when needed.)

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

DanaDenise
on 7/18/15 7:34 pm

Thanks! I did know that, but I want to do it more as a show of support!  I would like to donate more money, but my husband is out of work so it is not feasible for us right now.  Thanks for sharing what you know.  I thought it might be a problem with our specific surgery, so I just wanted to get an idea before I make an appointment for the blood drive.

H.A.L.A B.
on 7/19/15 6:01 am

I would not donate blood, even if I could.  

I become anemic, have iron deficienst app 2 years post op. It took me a whole year to finally get iron infusions. Whole year of feeling like Crap. I also dicovered my body was deficient in other vitamins and minerals. It took a lot of $$$ and time to find out what is working. 

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

selhard
on 7/19/15 6:37 am - MN
RNY on 11/26/12

I used to be a regular blood donor but have chosen to not risk the iron drop.  My DH is the universal blood type O and more than makes up my share of donations.  He gets frequent phone calls asking to donate and the lab workers like his bulging arm veins they don't have to hunt for.

Most Active