Carb question

Lily2
on 7/17/15 6:09 am

i am almost 8 weeks post op RNY.  My weight loss is slow but steady.  I started as a light weight so I expect a slower loss.  My question is this.  I started this journey with early onset diabeties. It was off the charts but metformin daily and I was fine.  Since surgery my BS is low, example this morning 58.  Docs office said I am not eating enough and I need to incorporated daily 2 carbs such as oatmeal, whole grain bread, etc.  also 2 fruits and 2 fats.  They want to bring my caloric intake up to 1000 or more a day.   I am now eating around 650 calories daily. Does this sound right?  Everything ive read here emphasises protein first, if room than veggies and so on. I am concerned about low BS but this goes against everything ive read here about breads and fruit.  

hl1524
on 7/17/15 6:24 am - Austin, TX

Are you still taking metformin?

RNY 8/27/2014

Lily2
on 7/17/15 6:39 am

Typo on my original post.  It should have said "NOT " off the charts when I was diagnosed.  And no, no metformin since surgery.  But my numbers are very low in the morning.

Lily2
on 7/17/15 6:41 am

Typo in first post.  When diagnosed with diabetes my BS reading were "NOT" off the charts.

hl1524
on 7/17/15 6:57 am - Austin, TX

I'm not going to tell you to go against your doctors advice because at that level your sugars are low.  It is pretty dangerous to have them so low.  Do they stay low throughout the entire day?  Have you tried eating something right before bed?  Like cheese or maybe even peanut butter?  I've heard of some people who need to eat something right before they go to bed to keep their sugars up in the mornings.  

I personally have kept a very low carb/higher fat diet through the process for the most part.  I was diagnosed with diabetes 4 months prior to having surgery.  I never had to take insulin though.  I stopped taking the metformin when I started the liquid diet before surgery and haven't been on it since.  I kept an eye on my sugars and it took a few months before it would read below 100 on a consistent basis in the mornings.  

I wish I had better advice for you.  The only thing I can really think of is to have a snack before bed if your fasting sugar is the only time it is low like that.  

RNY 8/27/2014

Lily2
on 7/17/15 12:13 pm

I usually eat something or have a protein shake before bed. I normally take my reading morning and just before bedtime.  Can you tell me what you keep your carb count at daily?

nurserobin
on 7/17/15 9:07 am

Protein can get your blood sugar to stay up the way it is suppose to be. The carbs will make it go up too much. If you are dangerously low then use orange juice and I mean a very small amount to get it up and then have a protein snack. 58 is low but its not dangerous you just need fuel quickly. Good luck!

zann50
on 7/17/15 11:36 am

Casein protein shake at bedtime.  It is longer lasting compared to fast acting whey isolate.  It has really helped me with hypoglycemia.  I was never a diabetic pre-op.  Highest A1-C 5.8, since WLS I have been plagued with bouts low BS and low blood pressure...today 77/44 B/P.  symptoms feel the same to me😦

Zann

VGS- 2015

Lily2
on 7/17/15 12:16 pm

I do drink a protein shake before bedtime. What is a casein protein shake?

Maria27
on 7/17/15 2:49 pm - Chicago, IL
RNY on 03/17/15

At 8 weeks out, there is no way you can get that much food in during the day. What they are telling you sounds like a maintenance diet. This is what happens when people who have no idea what it is like to actually live with RNY try to advise us. They just don't understand what it is like, and they want to treat us like we have normal stomachs. But we don't. I try to keep my carbs below 50 per day and my calories under 800 per day, and I am four months out. But I have never had diabetes, so I cannot advise you how to adjust for that.

Height: 5'5" HW: 290 Consultation Weight: 276 SW: 257 CW: 132

Most Active
Recent Topics