Protein shakes make me sick post op

(deactivated member)
on 7/14/15 10:12 am
RNY on 06/30/15

I meet with my surgeon tomorrow and he may have suggestions or insight,  but I thought I'd run it by you guys,  too,  since you're so helpful.  

Pre-op I drank premiere protein pre made shakes (4 a day) and before my pre-op diet,  I drank the EAS advantedge . They were both great and I had no issues.  

I'm 2 weeks post op and I can no longer drink either of these.  They both cause stomach pains followed by a very unhealthy #2 within a half hour.  I have tried drinking super slow,  it doesn't help.  I tried a whey protein powder with water (forget the brand but I got it at Walmart in a black and red container.) And it had the same effect.  

I have started puree foods,  so I am getting SOME protein in with small bits of chicken,  but not nearly enough.  Has anyone else had this problem with shakes?  Have you found a solution?  Is there maybe a protein shake out there that is for sensitive stomachs and isn't as harsh?  Low carb is important.  

Thanks! 

auntmimi
on 7/14/15 10:47 am

When I was first post-op my first 3 months my pouch couldnt handle protein drinks. No matter how hard I tried I couldnt make myself drink it, especially when I knew the side effects I would suffer. To keep my protein up I would mix mine (started with a teaspoon) at a time in my yogurt. Then I was able to progress to a tablespoon. Up until month 3 I couldnt tolerate it. I found that I could tolerate it better when I diluted the pre-made drinks. The powders I started mixing with almond milk and that helped a lot! Now I drink Premier Protein almost daily. 

I have seen post before about others having issues with whey protein. Go to the magnifying glass at the upper right side of the screen and type it in. You may be surprised how many people have suffered this before. 
Good Luck! 

(deactivated member)
on 7/14/15 10:59 am
RNY on 06/30/15

Thank you for the suggestions!  I have not tried to dilute them.  My search option hasn't worked in a few weeks :(  well,  it does sometimes,  but it usually won't show results.  I'm not sure if it's the site or my browser.  

As for the yogurt,  I see people talking about yogurt a lot on here,  and I love yogurt,  but I spent 30 minutes reading yogurt labels at publix yesterday and they all have way too many carbs!  My NUT has told me to try to limit carbs to 25 or less (net) per day.  I didn't see any with less than 12? Same with almond milk- high carb when you're trying to stay under 25 daily.  

I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one with the problem.  Thanks again for responding!  Love this site! I swear I'd be calling my doctor everyday if it weren't for the forums here 

auntmimi
on 7/14/15 11:10 am

Due to my diabetes I have to really concentrate on the sugar counts and on carbs. Each NUT seems to have a different plan. If your NUT approves you to go with higher cabs then I could only suggest what has worked for me and thats the Yoplait 100 greek yogurt or the light greek plain. There are lots of different syrups made by Davinci and Torani that I will use to sweeten my yogurt. I am now at a point where I can finely cut up some strawberries (2-3) and add them in with my plain yogurt. I hope you get answers to your questions! 

NYMom222
on 7/14/15 11:06 am
RNY on 07/23/14

Yes post-op can be a struggle even with protein. I found I went through many seasons of what I could tolerate for the first 5-6 months. Just because you can't tolerate them now, doesn't mean you won't be able to have them later. Unfortunately it can be just trial and error. :(. Both GNC and Vitamin Shoppe let you return opened items within 30 days if you don't like it. You can also buy some proteins in single serving sample sizes. There are also the plain whey proteins that you can add to food or make your own shake with them. I have used these two (both from Amazon): Bulksupplements Whey Isolate and Plain Whey Genepro. I prefer the Genepro because 1 TBSP = 30g protein and it can easily go in hot too. They are both very good on the taste scale. I have also found a chocolate and vanilla I like that is grass-fed and made with stevia. GNC carries it, but I actually buy it at my local Walgreens. It is cheaper there and they put it on sale. Bodylogix. For me when I was going through a bad period with the shakes Click and Fit Frappe which are coffee flavored were the only ones I could tolerate. If you make shakes yourself try using lactose free milk, that can help you tolerate it better too.

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

rocky513
on 7/14/15 5:44 am, edited 7/14/15 5:44 am - WI

It sounds like  you are lactose intolerant.  Check the label on your protein.  If it contains whey concentrate, it contains lactose.  Whey isolate is 99% lactose free.  Most powders mix the two kinds of whey together.  You have to find a protein that has only whey isolate.  Walmart sells Body Fortress Isolate, but they also have a Body Fortress Whey protein that contains lactose.  The Whey Isolate costs a few dollars more. You have to carefully read the label.  You can mix the whey isolate protein powder with almond milk, soy milk, cashew milk, or water.  I drink mine in my morning coffee.  Most folks that are lactose intolerant can eat yogurt and cheese, but any other dairy sends them running to the bathroom.

HW 270 SW 236 GW 160 CW 145 (15 pounds below goal!)

VBG Aug. 7, 1986, Revised to RNY Nov. 18, 2010

(deactivated member)
on 7/14/15 3:11 pm
RNY on 06/30/15

Interesting!  That could be it I suppose.  Aside from yogurt I've never been a big fan of anything dairy so I never drank milk or anything.  I wonder if the surgery made me lactose intolerant,  of that's the case,  since I was able to drink these same drinks with no issue pre-op? 

I still learn something new every day and feel like I am adjusting my diet every few days!  I can't wait until I've got it all figured out.  

rocky513
on 7/14/15 4:21 pm - WI

Lactose intolerance is a very common side effect after surgery.  It took me three months before I figured out what was making me so sick.  As soon as I switched to a whey isolate and stopped the dairy, I felt better.  

Hope you feel better soon! 

HW 270 SW 236 GW 160 CW 145 (15 pounds below goal!)

VBG Aug. 7, 1986, Revised to RNY Nov. 18, 2010

Most Active