Reactive Hypoglycemia

chulbert
on 7/23/15 6:01 am - Rochester, NY
RNY on 01/21/13

My mother is also an RNY patient with RH so severe it's resulted in several seizures.  She tried everything from no-carb to equal-carb to high-carb, with or without protein, and all the variations in between I didn't list.  Nothing worked.

Eventually an endocrinologist prescribed a medication called Precose, 50 mg, taken before each meal.  Combined with some of these dietary patterns it has completely resolved her issue.

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 7/23/15 8:25 am - OH

Thanks for the info.  I had not heard of that medication before and the surgeons I work for apparently aren't aware of it either (although they usually refer out for people with severe issues with such things, so it doesn't surprise me too much).

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

siberiancat
on 7/21/15 11:28 am - COLUMBIA CITY, IN

A glucometer is useful for learning how different foods affect your blood sugar and also helps confirm what you might suspect is a low blood sugar.  I usually have symptoms when my blood sugar is in the 50's and get very confused, weak, shaky, even problems speaking when it is in the low 40"s.   I've had RH for about 3 years now (I'm 6 years post RNY). 

I usually don't have problems unless I eat simple carbs on an empty/nearly empty pouch.  If I eat protein first every meal or snack, then carbs usually don't cause a drop in blood sugar.

Keeping a food diary and writing how you feel 30 minutes, 1 hour, 1 hour after a meal, or between meals or bedtime, etc. is also helpful in learning how foods affect you.  Counting carbs in your food diary can be an eye opener!!  Carbs are naturally in vegetables and fruit and HIDDEN in may packaged/canned/ processed foods.  I found I was consuming more carbs than I thought and reading labels has made me more savvy.

I do see an endocrinologist for another issue (I'm not and never have been diabetic) but he doesn't seem too concerned and tells me to monitor my carbs.

Much like other issues with RNY - it's trial and error.  Others can tell you what helps them - but you must find out for yourself what works for you.

Best wishes,

Penny

Penny
Highest Weight 255  * Wt loss includes 19 lb lost before surgery

Misty1980
on 7/22/15 7:30 pm - edwards, CA

Make sure you find a good Endocrinologist they can help better than most bariatrics. I developed it at almost 7 years out and mine got severe with dumping even off protein. For me I ended up having a reverse because I had so much going on in 2013. If its really bad they're a few meds you can try they just didn't work for me. I wish you the best of luck and hope you find a good doctor.

Most Active
Recent Topics