It's Been Six Years - Here are a few things I know for sure

The Salty Hag
on 7/17/15 5:39 am
RNY on 05/20/13

This is a fantastic post and should be a sticky post...it should also be handed out in post-op packets...seriously. 

I woke up in between a memory and a dream...

Tom Petty

diane48
on 7/17/15 8:53 am
RNY on 05/07/13

Thanks so much.  It is a much appreciated reminder of how to get to your point in this journey.

Busymomma4
on 7/18/15 7:43 pm

Hello, I'm new to online support groups, Im from Ontario Canada, I had my first surgeon appointment this week and was diasappointed because our provincial insurance does not pay for the sleeve procedure unless you have a bmi of over 60. Now I have to choose the bypass or self pay to get the sleeve. I'm a little afraid of vitamin and mineral deficiencies long term with the bypass. How do you feel? Are your blood tests in the normal ranges? this reply is totally random lol awesome post by you though! Any reply would be great thanks 

lynnc99
on 7/18/15 10:44 pm

I am religious about my vitamins! My surgeon was clear in saying that certain deficiencies (calcium, D, and the B vitamins) can cause irreversible harm and often are not detected until it's too late. I just don't play with that! I got a half dozen of those little weekly pill boxes and set up my vitamins 6 weeks at a time (so I don't have to have the bottles out old lady style). By the end of the day - the little container for that day had better be empty!

I don't know a lot about the sleeve because it was not commonly done 6 years ago - but I have had no complications with my RNY. ANY surgery is a total commitment, though, and we do need to learn to eat again, to reset our relationship with food, and to move past all the emotional eating and horrible habits that got us here. 

It isn't easy by any stretch. I'm glad to answer questions as much as I can. Curious where you're from in Ont. - I spend much of my life in Michigan. 2 of my favorite places are Niagara on the Lake and Manitoulin Island. 

Busymomma4
on 7/19/15 3:08 am

I'm from northern Ontario, 8 hours north of Toronto! I spent months researching the sleeve and ignoring the bypass so now I have to research the bypass :) I'm just afraid of making the wrong choice. I have full intentions of following Dr's orders. My husband isnt comfortable with the bypass. Thank you so much for your reply.  Have a great day :) more research to do!

hl1524
on 7/19/15 7:00 am - Austin, TX

Thank you for taking the time to write this thoughtful post. I think it's very important for everyone to know that regain is real and this is a lifelong journey. 

RNY 8/27/2014

Most Active
Recent Topics