Dealing with PCOS post WLS surgery

SkinnyScientist
on 7/16/15 5:29 am

We can't know until we're there. Fact is, you haven't yet gained any weight, right? 

-Right! Nothing beyond my normal 3 lbs fluctuation. Thank you for pointing out what is going RIGHT.  Things that are DIFFERENT this time around is: a) I am not on a high carb/low fat diet b) it was caught early c) I have my pouch so I can be content with crazy small quantities of food, d) it was caught early (like within 3 months versus 22 years), d) I know what to do low/no carb and if it is a carb it had better be a low GI carb.

So, here is to hitting this damn disease with every gun in my arensal all at once.

RNY Surgery: 12/31/2013; 

Current weight (2/27/2015) 139lbs, ~14% body fat

Three pounds below Goal!!! Yay !  

cspotrun
on 7/17/15 8:32 am
RNY on 07/01/14

Exactly!  Totally different scenario.  Sucks you have to deal with it, but this time I believe you can manage it.

Karen   

beachybikegirl
on 7/15/15 11:58 pm

Dear SS,

I am so sorry to hear all of this is happening for you.  I too turned to WLS because of my PCOS.  Despite running marathons and drinking protein shakes I never lost weight nor did I look like a girl who had run a marathon!  I started investigating WLS when I had a bad PCOS flare up and could not shake any weight post having a baby despite taking metformin and breast feeding!!!

When I met with my surgeon the first question I had was would WLS even work because of my PCOS.  She said very clearly, " YOU will have weight loss, BUT YOU WILL NEVER BE RID OF PCOS.  WLS will only help the weight, the other symptoms you will just have to see. "

I am only 3 weeks post WLS, I am losing weight so that is exciting.  But like you, I will have to continue to monitor everything with my internist and gynecologist and see what will need to be done regarding those same issues.

Despite the all terrible symptoms of PCOS, the weight is the worst.  I am curious did your WLS surgeon say that your PCOS would go away?  I wonder just because mine was so clear that there is not cure for PCOS and it will never go away, weight loss will just help it.  The only thing that put my PCOS in remission was being pregnant so for those 9 months all my hormones were happy.  BUT post pregnancy my hormones have been all over the map and my PCOS has been worse then ever.

I share your experience, you are not alone, it is terrible terrible thing and I too feel like I have a body that is against me.  Take hope in that your WLS put you below your goal weight!  It's so inspiring every time I read your posts and see your signature.  Your weight loss should not be changed by the other PCOS symptoms, according to my surgeon.  One more thing, before doing WLS, I had read a bunch of research articles on WLS and PCOS and their findings indicated the same thing.

All My Best and keep us updated!

SkinnyScientist
on 7/16/15 5:42 am

Your weight loss should not be changed by the other PCOS symptoms, according to my surgeon.  

-OMG! This is Exactly the post that I needed when I needed it.  I am crying happy tears!  You GET it! You totally do! And it is relief to hear that I am my weight loss is NOT going to be changed!  I can not describe how happy I am.  When I was losing weight, I would only buy clothes from Goodwill or consignment stores. I really didnt buy anythign new when I hit goal either. I couldnt permit myself to hope too much you know?   I had lost and gained it all back before. Many times before. But when I was congratulated for "beating it" I thought I had  REALLY WON!  And gave my permission to buy a lot of pretty and expensive new clothes.

So last night, I literally walked into my closet and mourned them, the way one mourns a friend that is slowly dying of cancer. Which ones did I want to wear first and most often?  Maybe that special dress shouldn't be "special" anymore and get taken out once a week!

And I could just hear my mother (who I have a difficult relationship with) doing her usual harp of "why did you WASTE ALL THAT MONEY on a surgery and all those clothes if you couldnt maintain it anyway?" 

[sigh]

So thank you!  I feel the weight on my shoulders lifting appreciably!

Thank you for being there!

- I am curious did your WLS surgeon say that your PCOS would go away?  I wonder just because mine was so clear that there is not cure for PCOS and it will never go away, weight loss will just help it. 

My WLS didnt say anything. My endocrinologist made it clear that the syndrome/disease will be there but the symptoms MAY alleviate with WLS and I would finally be able to lose weight. She and my NP were the first (and only) healthcare professionals to steer me towards WLS. They watched me try, do what I should do, and NOT have results. They believed me when I would hand in my food and gym logs (complete with heart rates and perceived exertions!).  I can not describe how GOOD it is to have health care providers that believe you and work with you. It makes all the difference.

Thank you

L

RNY Surgery: 12/31/2013; 

Current weight (2/27/2015) 139lbs, ~14% body fat

Three pounds below Goal!!! Yay !  

beachybikegirl
on 7/16/15 7:39 pm

Oh hooray, I am so happy I could bring you some peace.  That's too funny you were morning your pretty wardrobe, well in retrospect, I am sure it wasn't fun at the time!  

Please keep me updated on your PCOS and stats and things, that is a big question mark for me too.  I go for my first round of testing for my internist at the end of this month.  She had me stop the Metformin 2 days before surgery so we will see when and if she puts back on it.  Oh I still have the Gynecologist to check in with too, but for now I am going to work on the weight and the see.

We will probably fight the battle of PCOS for most of our days but with the weight off we will be much better warriors!!!

Most Active
Recent Topics