Struggling...RNY 6/18/15

hibrahim
on 7/14/15 6:04 pm - St Paul, MN

I could not eat meat until nearly 6 months after my surgery. The first 4 weeks I lived on jello, chicken broth, and an egg here and there. I would go slow. Many people think that they can just eat normally right after surgery . . . that is wrong and it does take time. 

scorpio01
on 7/14/15 6:50 pm - Cincinnati, KY
RNY on 06/19/15

Hey Alicia!

I'm so sorry you're having such a tough time right now. I had my surgery the day after you so we're at the same stage. I'm eating soft foods right now (yogurt, soft meats (deli meat, ground meat, tuna, fish), soft vegetables and fruits, eggs, cheese. Sunday I can begin a regular diet slowly minus nuts, popcorn, and fresh veggies. If you didn't get much nutritional guidance, I'm happy to email you what I have. Just let me know. 

Sara

MickeyDee
on 7/14/15 7:56 pm

Pureed foods:  your favorite soups, Greek Yoghurt, milk, protein shakes, soft fruit, lots of water.

Ladytazz
on 7/14/15 8:50 pm

My insurance didn't pay for a nutritionist so I paid out of pocket.  Best money I spent.  Find a nutritionist who specializes in WLS patients.

I was at such a loss as to how to eat that I followed the post op plan to the letter, at least for the first year.  My judgement around food was poor to day the least and I needed all the help I could get.

WLS 10/28/2002 Revision 7/23/2010

High Weight  (2002) 240 Revision Weight (2010) 220 Current Weight 115.

Capogirl
on 7/15/15 6:28 am

Hi Alicia,

At 4 weeks I was also allowed meat but I really didn't like it, I did not get sick, but I just didn't care for it, except for chicken sausages which I cooked in tomato sauce and cut up into very tiny pieces, I could eat approximately half of one sausage and deli ham.  The rest of my menu at that point consisted of premier protein shakes, ricotta cheese, Dannon Light & Fit yogurt, sugar free pudding, babybel light cheeses and  veggie burgers with a little low sugar organic ketchup.  I could not tolerate tuna or chicken or ground turkey and didn't even try beef. 

Capogirl
on 7/15/15 6:42 am

I just remembered, I have a PDF document which covers all 5 stages of eating, including recommended brands, sample menus and recipes.  It is public information on my hospital's website.  If you like I can send to you.  It is a lot of info, but I found it very helpful in the beginning. 

Most Active