Struggling...RNY 6/18/15

marysmom1216
on 7/14/15 1:02 pm

Hello all!!! I am new here.  I had my RNY on 6/18/15...so almost 4 weeks ago already.  Food is my nemesis right now.  I cannot seem to do anything right.  Most recently it is meat that is killing me....it gets stuck and I throw up multiple times if I eat it.  I am not eating steaks by any means....don't get me wrong.  I have gotten sick from ground beef (in a meatball) and from rotisserie chicken. Last night it was meatsauce from speghetti.  I am beyond frustrated. 

I got VERY POOR nutritional advice prior to my surgery, and never even got to meet with a nutritionist.  So, I feel like I am flying blind here.  I am so happy I got my surgery, but just am emotionally very deflated right now.

Alicia

Corrie33
on 7/14/15 2:27 pm
RNY on 02/09/15

I just happened to bring in my food guidelines for a friend today so I'll give you some of what I was given.  It may be that you're trying any kind of meat way too soon.  Here's what mine says, it's pretty restrictive:

1-3 weeks after surgery:  Eggs, dairy products:  soft cheeses, l/f yogurt, cottage cheese (avoid whole milk and high fat cheeses), legumes: includes beans, lentils and peas in mushy form like split pea soup, bean soup, f/f refried beans, cream of wheat, malto-meal.

3-4 weeks after surgery:  All the above - add seafood - moist, white fish, baby shrimp or other shellfish.  Nothing chewy, do not fry.

6 weeks after surgery: All the above, add unsweetened cold cereals.

8 weeks after surgery:  Veggies-cooked carrots and green veggies (avoid corn and peas), Fruits:  Bananas and melon, Turkey - moist dark meat works best (ground turkey worked well with me at this point).

12 weeks after surgery:  Veggies-broccoli, cabbage, salad with romaine lettuce, Raw Fruit-peeled (chew well - no citrus), ground beef-with surgeon approval only (I did not get approval at this time), moist chicken if tolerated

6-12 MONTHS after surgery:  Chicken, red meat & pork, raisens, grapes corn and peas

Since you didn't get much NUT support, I hope this helps.  I'm at five months out and still not approved for red meat of any kind.  At 4 weeks, I would stick with the dairy, cheeses and soft foods still.  

GOAL REACHED! 170 lbs lost...

RNY: 2/9/15 (age 52), Ht-5'9" HW=304, SW=292, GW=155, LW=134, CW=147

Mo.1 -29lbs Mo.2 -18lbs Mo.3 -13lbs Mo.4 -11lbs Mo.5 - 14lbs Mo.6 - 10lbs Mo. 7 -11lbs Mo. 8 -9.4lbs

Kathy S.
on 7/14/15 2:36 pm - InTheBurbs, XX
RNY on 08/29/04 with

Hi Alice,

If I understand you are only 4 weeks out? You should not be eating these things so early out.  What did your surgeon say you should be eating in the first phase?

Here is a link to my profile.  Scroll way down and you will see recipes for different phases.  Reach out to Eggface and she has great recipes for all phases.  Here are our links:

Kathy S

Eggface

Keep us posted on how you are doing.

HW:330 - GW:150 - MW:118-125

RW:190 - CW:130

mschwab
on 7/14/15 2:38 pm
RNY on 11/21/14

It was months after surgery before I could tolerate meat, and it is still hit and miss with chicken and beef. Try backing away from it for a bit and concentrate on alternative protein sources, such as shellfish, fish, dairy and soy. 

Height: 5'7".  HW: 299, Program starting weight: 290, SW: 238, CW 138 - 12 pounds under goal!  

White Dove
on 7/14/15 3:24 pm - Warren, OH

Ground meat is the tough cuts of meat.  It is still too tough even ground.  Chicken is difficult for most of us.  At four months out you should be able to tolerate filet.  Not now.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

Grim_Traveller
on 7/14/15 3:27 pm
RNY on 08/21/12

^^^What she said.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

JA
on 7/14/15 4:28 pm - East Haven, CT

Oh my you are attempting to eat food that is not going to work this early out.  Soft foods, i.e. scrambled eggs, soft cheese, yogurt, protein drinks (I know they are all awful).  I am 11 yrs out this month and was not able to eat chicken for about a year after surgery.  Be careful, you don't want to cause distress to your system by vomiting too much.  If your surgeon doesn't give you food guidance, look for a nutritionist who specializes in bariatric diets.  Good luck.

JA

RNY 7/21/2004 -100 forever!!!

radze09
on 7/14/15 5:56 pm
RNY on 06/08/15

Crazy how plans differ!! At 4 weeks out my plan is a regular diet minus raw veggies, skin on fruit, rice, bread, pasta, popcorn and nuts till 8 weeks out. I have chicken, ground beef, deli, pork chops. I cook the meats wrapped in foil in the oven to keep the moisture so eating is not dry!! I am 5 weeks out and have been eating this stuff since my 4 week mark. So maybe it is a dryness issue with the meat! I heard that can cause sickness. Hope you get to feeling better!!!

AmyDee123
on 7/14/15 8:19 pm - Lutz, FL
RNY on 06/12/15

Same here.   My doctor has had me on regular diet since this week.   My surgery was June 12.  HOWEVER, I take it easy with each new food.   I make sure each new food is "wet".  Tuna or salmon is tuna or salmon salad with a little bit of mayo and mustard.   steak is with plain Greek yogurt with dill.  Chicken is dark meat with salsa or homemade cheese sauce.I  I eat HALF the volume I know I can tolerate and chew till its paste.   I also take very small bites and I stretch the meal over 30 minutes.   

After all of this I still mess up and vomit.   Then I baby myself for a while and do protein shakes or yogurt. 

LapBand Weight 460 (2006) | Panni Removal Weight 200 (2008) | 3rd kid (2009)
Revision to RNY Weight 355 (June 2015)

phibbmom
on 7/14/15 5:57 pm

Eggs are your friend if you can tolerate them.  I had an egg every day and still have it most days.  Soft scramble with a little sprinkle of reduced fat cheddar - so delish!  I don't think I was eating meat at 4 weeks either.  I think I got to have my first egg (and it was the best egg I've ever eaten).  My nurse told me that you shouldn't rush the food.  Really we are just "practicing" at that point for real food that will come later.  The focus is more on making sure that you get your liquids in. 

High: 295  Pre-surgery: 267  Current: 142   RNY: 10/7/14

Most Active