Hair falling out question.

mariapizarro8
on 7/13/15 6:15 pm

I will be having surgery a month from now what can I use to help with hair loss,my hair is pass my butt and I don't want to loose it can any products help I have been taking biotin for two months now also.

JPHRN
on 7/13/15 6:36 pm

Make sure you get in all of your protein. Good luck with your surgery!

Poodlemac
on 7/13/15 8:10 pm
RNY on 09/26/14

Unfortunately, there is NOTHING you can do to prevent or stop hair loss. Only time. 

selhard
on 7/13/15 8:51 pm - MN
RNY on 11/26/12

At three months, thinning hair started and then stopped by one year post-op (it wasn't that noticeable).  I tried and liked a product duo called Nioxin purchased on sale with coupon at a JCPenney Hair Salon for around $25.  

TattooMammaRN
on 7/13/15 10:02 pm

Hair loss happens.  It can be really scarry at first.  Take all of you vitamins and get in all of your protein.  That should help a little.  I also have long hair.  When it started falling out I cut it to just below my shoulders, it made the amount coming out seem less.  (Only because the strands were half as long).  It grows back, not as thick, but thick enough.  My hair is seeming to even grow faster, assuming from all of the vitamins.  And......a little temporary hair loss is soooooooo worth the tons of weight loss :)  Good Luck with your surgery!!

jazzycatz
on 7/14/15 5:51 am - Joppa, MD

Telogen Effluvium 

Gotta love that name, huh? It's caused by a sudden shock to the system (like surgery or an accident) and it's also common after women have babies because their hormones were out of wack. Which also relates to bariatric surgery because your estrogen is going to be out of control.

So you have 2 things working against you. Good news is it's temporary. And the recommended treatment is...sit tight. I know right?At my first haircut/color after surgery (about 4 months post op) it was like a ton of hair came out. But it made a difference getting rid of most of the hair at once. I didn't notice nearly as much fallout after and then at about 6 months it was back to it's regular fall out pace and I begin to notice the regrowth.

Deby4fsu
on 7/14/15 10:21 am

I also use Nioxin. My hair stylist recommended it. She says they recommend Nioxin to patients that undergo chemo and RNY. I ordered mine from Amazon.com. Hope it helps.

Most Active