spicy foods

lindaannette
on 7/10/15 5:06 pm

I am 4 weeks out and miss my spicy foods. Does anyone know when you can have them again? I have never had any problems with acid or upset tummy because of it. 

JB1114
on 7/10/15 5:15 pm - Grain Valley, MO

I'm 7 years out and I still can't eat spicy foods.  Before WLS, the hotter the better, but now I just can't eat anything spicy.

~Jo~

RNY: July 8, 2008

Dr. John Price

Kansas City, MO

Maria27
on 7/10/15 5:19 pm - Chicago, IL
RNY on 03/17/15

I have not had any problems with spicy foods. I was eating jalapenos by two months or so. What's important is that the particular food is allowed under your plan.

Height: 5'5" HW: 290 Consultation Weight: 276 SW: 257 CW: 132

NinaCanDOit
on 7/10/15 6:22 pm
RNY on 06/27/14

As mentioned, it just depends on your plan.  I specifically asked about spicy foods and (if I remember correctly) was given the green light at my 3 month check in.  I have always enjoyed spicy stuff, and post surgery the hotter the better. 

HW - 392 * CW - 200 * * * Lost - 192, To Goal - 40

"almost there,...keep going,...stay focused,...eyes on the prize" - the guy at my gym

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 7/10/15 8:01 pm - OH

I had a small baked buffalo chicken chunk at 2 weeks out (my plan put us back on soft foods on Day Three post-op and baked chicken was added at the end of week 2), and I have had no trouble with anything spicy in the 8 years since then.

Most people have no trouble, but the only way to know how you will react is to try a small amount of something.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

lindaannette
on 7/10/15 9:04 pm

Thanks everyone!!!

Sandman1991
on 7/11/15 1:29 pm

hi im three weeks out and have had chilli three times this last week and all was ok just remember to measureit !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

aesposito
on 7/12/15 6:54 pm

Never had a problem with spicy food post-surgery, except oddly enough mustard.  It made me nauseous for about 2 years afterwards.  I never figured out why... I loved mustard pre-surgery.

Audrey

Highest weight: 340
Surgery weight: 313
Surgery date: 10/24/11
Current weight 170... 170 pounds lost!!!!

I am not a doctor, but I play one at work.

selhard
on 7/13/15 4:13 am - MN
RNY on 11/26/12

You are still in healing mode so I'm guessing your medical team would advise you to err on the cautious side if you phoned in that question for them.  It's a good topic for them to include in any future literature they produce for other WLS patients, too.  If chili powder counts as spicy, I ate 1/8 cup of chili two weeks post-op with no issues.  You might notice your nose will be more drippy than pre-WLS even without eating spicy things. 

Most Active