I am 5 YEARS post-op RNY... is it possible to be having complications this far out?

girlonamission
on 7/8/15 11:16 am
Yesterday I started having a LOT of bloating, feeling nauseated, feeling very full, pain behind my sternum, generalized pain throughout upper abdomen between sternum and belly button. When I eat solids, the pain is worse. Fluids seem to be doing OK, but have only had them in limited amounts. It feels kind of like I remember feeling post-op, so I'm wondering if there is something going on with my pouch. Any suggestions/ideas? Trying to drink some warm herbal tea right now to see if that helps. Have tried Papaya enzyme tablets, Gas-X pills, etc. Not sure what is going on, and wondering if I need to go to the doctor. Thank you!

jenorama
on 7/8/15 11:32 am - CA
RNY on 10/07/13

You probably want to get it checked out.  I had a bout of gastritis that manifested as what felt like bad gas pain right under my sternum and radiating over to my left side.  Eating did make it feel worse.  

Before I knew what it was, I went to urgent care and they gave me a "gastric ****tail"--mylanta with lidocaine--and it didn't do anything for the pain because the pain I was feeling was in my remnant stomach and what went into my mouth didn't go into the remnant stomach.

You might try some OTC Prilosec and if that does make it feel better, you might have boarded the bus for Ulcertown and that's a terrible neighborhood!

Jen

girlonamission
on 7/8/15 11:53 am
I do take prescription Prilosec every morning since surgery. Yikes. I will read up on gastritis and see if that sounds right. Thank you for your response!!!

Ladytazz
on 7/8/15 2:04 pm

Sadly it is never too late for complications from WLS.  Ask me.  I suffered from many problems 8 years after my first WLS.

You are know what is known as medicalized.  When I look at my chart online one of the diagnoses is malabsorption syndrome.  I also have 2 more diagnoses directly related to my WLS and several that are indirectly related.

That said, not every thing that happens to us is due to having WLS.  But in many cases even though unrelated having WLS can affect our treatment and other things.
I recently had surgery that had zero to do with my WLS but it was still a consideration as far as what medications I could take, etc.  Because I don't absorb protein much I had to really load up on the protein both before and after surgery to aid in healing.

Pain should never be ignored and generally if it is related to the stomach or intestines there is a greater chance it has something to do with our surgery, but not always, but of course it needs to be evaluated.  But people with WLS also get stomach bugs and the flu but it can be hard to know the difference.

I have experienced similar pain as you are describing over the years.  Fortunately I haven't for a long time but I did have an EGD and CT done to rule out problems.

If the pain continues call your doctor and get feedback from him.

WLS 10/28/2002 Revision 7/23/2010

High Weight  (2002) 240 Revision Weight (2010) 220 Current Weight 115.

girlonamission
on 7/8/15 2:09 pm
I called my WLS surgeon's office - since it has been 5 years, and I haven't seen him in about 3 1/2 years, they suggested that I call my PCP or go to the ER.

So then I called my PCP, still waiting for a call back from them one hour later. My husband wants me to go to the ER.

As of right now, I'm planning on going in to the ER first thing in the morning. I can tell that something isn't right.

Thanks for your advice!! I had a major problem with stricture right after surgery, but no other problems until now.

teach2
on 7/8/15 5:47 pm
RNY on 12/23/14

Just wanted to wish you well. I will keep you in my prayers. Let us know how it goes. 

RNY on December 23, 2014 with Dr. Michael Greene

Start Weight- 225 Surgery Weight- 218 2 wk- 208 6 wk- 198 10 wk- 181 14wk-179 18 wk-172 21 wk- 168 25 wk- 162. 29 wk- 158. Mo 8 - 155

Mo 9- 150 Mo 10-148. Mo 12-145  CW 140

sicilygrl2
on 10/18/16 5:41 pm - CA

I am currently 5 years post op rny and just got discharged from hospital for intussusception with small bowel necrosis basically complete bowel obstruction my symptoms are very much like yours definatly get on a be seen it can be life threatening 

aesposito
on 10/18/16 7:49 pm, edited 10/18/16 12:50 pm

Never assume that discomfort is RNY-related.

I nearly died last November after I ruptured my appendix.  I wrote off the discomfort as RNY-related.  I spent a week in the hospital as a result.

If things don't feel right, get it check out.

Audrey

ETA: I just noticed this post is ancient.  Nonetheless, my advice stands.

Highest weight: 340
Surgery weight: 313
Surgery date: 10/24/11
Current weight 170... 170 pounds lost!!!!

I am not a doctor, but I play one at work.

Most Active