Prednisone for shoulder impingement

phibbmom
on 7/11/15 7:03 am

Two weeks ago I was diagnosed with bilateral shoulder impingement with a possible torn rotator cuff.  They put me on prednisone for the 6 day series.  On the last day I started experiencing stomach problems.  My pouch was a little irritable.  So we went on vacation the next day and I was careful about what I ate, but not the normal at home menu so I thought maybe it was because of the different food.  It got worse so I started taking Pepcid.  It has been getting worse so I called my doc and he put me on a different antacid.  Has anyone else had this issue?  Are there foods that cause more pain/less pain.  I am down to eating what I did when I first started eating food again.  Any input would be appreciated.

High: 295  Pre-surgery: 267  Current: 142   RNY: 10/7/14

healthy-rickfan1971
on 7/11/15 6:20 pm

I was recently on a steroid for spinal problems. Not prednisone, but a different one. My doctor and pharmacy both made sure to stress to take with food because of stomach troubles. I took it and my pain med both with a small protein shake (6 oz of unsweet vanilla almond milk and 1 scoop Lean Shake 25,instead of 8 oz milk and 2 scoops powder) this kept my pouch, Taz, happy lined with creamy "food." But with a time of meds being 4 times a day I just could not see using whole protein shake because it would be too many calories.

phibbmom
on 7/13/15 9:00 am

Thanks!  I should have taken it with food, but the last one was at bedtime and I don't eat then.  Now I know! 

Arielle P.
on 7/11/15 10:44 pm - Long Beach, CA

I have had major lung issues come up since my surgery. I had to take a very bad antifungal for a year and a half and almost didn't get through it! And I am on and off prednisone still, for lung infections and asthma related problems. I find that if I don't take it with a solid food, I will have problems, big problems! So I take it with whatever breakfast is that day, Fage 0% plain greek yogurt works great, as does oatmeal. I have to sneak it in between bites. It does mean that I have to take a small amount of liquid during that meal, but it is really small. I have to eat food, pill, food, pill.. Hope you heal up quickly! 

phibbmom
on 7/13/15 9:01 am

Thanks so much!

Most Active