Starbucks?

mute
on 7/9/15 6:28 am
RNY on 03/23/15

I haven't had any caffeine since January, I gave up pop when I knew I was going to do the surgery. I never drank a lot of coffee except when I travel with my friends. Well I'm going to be with my friends in Chicago this weekend. I'm usually tired because we do a lot when we're together - do I have any options for Starbucks?  Or do I need to do a black coffee? I really, really hated plain coffee before so I'm hoping no lol

Melinda

HW: 377 SW: 362 CW:131

TOTAL LOSS: 249 pounds

chris_ruff
on 7/9/15 6:33 am
RNY on 04/07/09 with

i may be the wrong person to ask because i have about 3-4 cups of coffee a day. but i do regular hot or iced coffee + whole milk or half and half. i used to do lattes, and use sweeteners, but now i just keep it simple.

i don't know when you had surgery, so the caveat is that you should be out of the healing phase so that coffee won't irritate you. i would be worried bringing coffee back on vacation because if it doesn't sit well with you, then you may end up feeling bad and you don't want that on vacation. maybe try it at home first!

--Christina
auntmimi
on 7/9/15 6:46 am

Have you tried their vente ( I believe thats what its called) tea? I tried their green tea and left it unsweet. It was good. 

selhard
on 7/9/15 6:48 am - MN
RNY on 11/26/12

Chris made a good point about trying new things--especially a Starbucks coffee which has made me feel like laying down right there in their store to keep the world from spinning.  Speaking of world, you used the word "pop" which gives a hint what part of the world you are from. 

chulbert
on 7/9/15 6:53 am - Rochester, NY
RNY on 01/21/13

They also offer sugar-free flavor shots.  While I'm not a frequent customer of Starbucks, when I do go there I often order iced coffee with sugar-free vanilla syrup.

AmyDee123
on 7/9/15 6:54 am - Lutz, FL
RNY on 06/12/15

I get a tall iced coffee with light cream and 1 splenda.  And yeah, I'd try it at home in a controlled environment before you have one around friends.

LapBand Weight 460 (2006) | Panni Removal Weight 200 (2008) | 3rd kid (2009)
Revision to RNY Weight 355 (June 2015)

(deactivated member)
on 7/8/15 11:54 pm, edited 7/9/15 12:02 am

I drink decaf. Not because I am not allowed to drink it. It makes my heart come out of my chest. I know a lot of people drink caffeine and do not have any problems. 

I use Splenda and half and half.

I am sure there are a lot more people who can guide you on this topic. I have Dunkin and I usually get an ice coffee with splenda and half and half. 

Just make sure you are measuring your cream when you put it in. Those calories can really add up fast. 

Have a safe and fun trip. 

iloveravens
on 7/9/15 6:58 am
RNY on 08/13/14

I had to wait 6 months before regular coffee was a go for me.  I will have an occasional skinny vanilla latte at Starbucks.  It's made with sugar free vanilla syrup and non-fat milk.

Lanie; Age: 43; Surgery Date (VSG): 8/12/14 w/complications resulting in RNY next day;

Height: 5' 6" SW: 249 Comfort Zone: 135-140 CW: 138 (10/13/17)

M1: -25 lbs M2: -12 M3: -13 M4: -7 M5: -11 M6: -10 M7: -7 M8: -7 M9: -3 M10: -8 M11: -4 M12: -4

5K PR - 24:15 (4/23/16) First 10K - 53:30 (10/18/15)

mamata2
on 7/9/15 7:03 am

I am a Starbucks addict!!  For several months after surgery I made sure to order decaf but now I'm back on the good stuff ;)

My favorites:

Iced Coffee with a couple of pumps of Sugar-free vanilla and skim milk

Skinny Mocha Latte with Sugar free caramel (so decadent)

Peach Green Tea unsweeetened but then I had splenda

They have many of the syrups in the sugar-free but I advise against the frappes due to the sugar content even if you ask for sugar free.  If you haven't had caffiene yet I would stick to decaf or half decaf half caf :)

Have fun in Chicago!

mute
on 7/9/15 7:06 am
RNY on 03/23/15

All the other food we're doing this weekend is being carefully controlled and not going to be an issue - we're eating at home and going grocery shopping when I get there so I know that will be all fine. But yeah you're all probably right that I shouldn't try coffee for the first time when I don't want to be sick. Ugh! Which sucks because A- I don't have a Starbucks around me anywhere. And B- I don't care about caffeine any other time.

But not the end of the world. I guess I'll just be tired this weekend.

Most Active