After Surgery - Overeating Question

Kalamitye
on 7/8/15 9:47 am

I am three weeks out from surgery and I have been able to tolerate most foods - I had some chicken yesterday, tiny pieces that I chewed thoroughly.  Even though I only ate a small amount, I feel like I may have overfilled my pouch since I vomited shortly afterwards and there was a lot of pressure in my pouch.  

It's been about 15 hours and it still feels extremely full and bloated.  This is the first experience I have had with overfill and I will be reverting back to completely pureed, but is this normal when you eat too much and how long does it normally take for the bloated / pain feeling to go away when it happens.  I was trying to be extremely careful about the amount of food I've taken in but I'm still having trouble determining when I am full. 

Any help would be appreciated.  I am concerned and would like to know if this is normal. Thank you in advance! 

auntmimi
on 7/8/15 10:34 am

At 3 weeks out my surgeon still had me on pureed/soft foods. At 6 weeks I had 3 tiny bites of ham and I experienced foamies and vomitting. I was uncomfortable for a day. I find if I vomit (which is not often, at all) that it helps if I go back to clear fluids for a day or so just to give my pouch a rest. Its so hard in the beginning to determine if your full, your nerves are healing. When I proceeded from soft to harder foods (ie, chicken, non-ground meats) I literally would take a bite-chew-chew-chew at least 40 times and swallow. Wait a few minutes and repeat. If you keep experiencing vomiting/bloated/pressure it wouldnt hurt to call your Dr. Good Luck to you! And welcome to the journey of a lifetime! 

NYMom222
on 7/8/15 12:07 pm
RNY on 07/23/14

I could have written this post when I was early out. It takes time to transition to solid food. Even though everything had gone smoothly in the beginning stages, when I hit solid food, it was a lot harder. For me what I had to remember was - eat slow, chew well, and make sure the food isn't dry. Some kind of sauce or broth helps. Chicken thighs can be much moister than chicken breast. Your crockpot can be your best friend now too, as it keeps things moist. I wouldn't consider this abnormal, you are still healing and sensitive.

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

Kalamitye
on 7/8/15 12:26 pm

Thank you for the responses!  It makes me feel better to know this is normal.  I'm very uncomfortable but I will try the liquids and will hope that I feel better tomorrow.  Thanks again!! 

Poodlemac
on 7/8/15 3:09 pm
RNY on 09/26/14
On July 8, 2015 at 9:47 AM Pacific Time, Kalamitye wrote:

I am three weeks out from surgery and I have been able to tolerate most foods - I had some chicken yesterday, tiny pieces that I chewed thoroughly.  Even though I only ate a small amount, I feel like I may have overfilled my pouch since I vomited shortly afterwards and there was a lot of pressure in my pouch.  

It's been about 15 hours and it still feels extremely full and bloated.  This is the first experience I have had with overfill and I will be reverting back to completely pureed, but is this normal when you eat too much and how long does it normally take for the bloated / pain feeling to go away when it happens.  I was trying to be extremely careful about the amount of food I've taken in but I'm still having trouble determining when I am full. 

Any help would be appreciated.  I am concerned and would like to know if this is normal. Thank you in advance! 

My bet would be that the chicken was too dry and that caused your discomfort. I had a really bad episode the first time I had brisket and was sick for hours. I remember feeling bloated and full for many hours. As I recall, I drank some water as I could tolerate later that evening and the next day I had a protein shake for breakfast and did mostly liquids that day. 

It sucks!  I'm sorry!  I know exactly how you feel. It's miserable and scary. Feel better soon!

Kathyjs
on 7/8/15 4:36 pm

Measure your food for a reason. That 'full ' feeling isn't there .even at 12 years out if I feel 'full ' I know I am in for a miserable hour or so as I over ate. Your pouch is brand new, follow the plan and best of luck 

Most Active