Please help...

hearnia
on 7/6/15 1:13 pm

I've posted a few times on here and I really appreciate the feedback, so I thought I would try again.  I had my surgery on 6/11/15 and I'm having a brutal time.  I went home on 6/13/15 with no complications and was on pureed food until my first follow-up appointment on 6/23/15.  Everything was going fine at my follow-up appointment and I didn't throw up once during the 12 days following my surgery.  At that appointment, they told me that I could move to soft foods (cheese, moist meats, fish, etc.).

The problem is that I can't keep anything down and I have pretty violent vomiting almost every day.  I'm taking 18 pills per day and I know that some of the nausea can be blamed on not knowing when to take the pills relative to the food/water I'm consuming... but for the last few days, my NUT and nurse had advised me as to when to take the pills.

I think part of the problem is that I don't know what to do if I start throwing up.  In other words, once I'm throwing up... it's obviously impossible to keep taking pills and drinking water... but then it has suddenly been hours since I've had anything to eat/drink and I start to feel dehydrated... but I still can't keep anything down.

This morning, as an example, around 7:30am I had a small piece of plain tortilla with about a 1/3 slice of cheese.  I finished that around 8:00am.  Then, around 8:30am, I started sipping a Premier Protein shake.  I finished the shake around 9:00am or 9:15am.  I had bought a small coffee and had a couple of sips around 9:45am.  I started throwing up around 10:00am and that continued until around 12:00pm.  Around 12:30pm, I tried to drink water; and threw that up a few minutes later.  Around 1:30pm, I tried a few sips of chicken broth; threw that up too.  I just tried another sip of water around 2:45pm, and threw that up too.

The nurse told me that I was overeating but it's really hard to figure out a schedule of when to drink, when to eat, when to take which pills, and what to do if the schedule gets screwed up because of vomiting and nausea.

Do others experience days like this?  What in the world do you do??  When does it stop???  :)

Thanks in advance...

karenp8
on 7/6/15 1:32 pm - Brighton, IL

Vomiting that much is not normal. You need to call your surgeon and insist that he check you for a structure. You are certainly dehydrated by now too and that increases the nausea as well. I hope you get some help soon!

karenp8
on 7/6/15 1:34 pm - Brighton, IL

Darn auto correct! Meant "stricture" not structure. 

trafficdonna
on 7/6/15 2:06 pm

Why would you try a tortilla?  I am eight years out and still cannot digest something like that.  BREAD of any kind is pretty much a "no-go" for RNY.  Bread just balls up in your pouch.  Stick with cottage cheese--no regular cheese--too much fat for your body to handle this early.  It took me almost two months to eat ground meat in chili.  By soft foods they mean cottage cheese, pureed soup, yogurt--basically baby food.  Your system is too traumatized to handle any fiber, breads--and that includes chips or crackers, dense meat, raw veggies or fruit.

I would suggest you start over with liquids for a few days, then try yogurt.  Even cottage cheese should be put into a blender so curds are very tiny.  Applesauce is good or grind canned peaches into mush.  Perhaps even buy jars of baby food and try them: particularly the meats.  Stay away from pasta as well--just starch that your body does not need.

I think you are trying to resume "normal" eating way too fast.  I was on liquids for over a month before I could even begin to handle soft foods.  Take it more slowly and ask for Compazine or something for the nausea.

This too will pass, like a kidney stone but it will pass!
hearnia
on 7/6/15 2:10 pm

This is part of my frustration, because I'm following the NUT and nurse's suggestions to the letter.  When I had my follow-up appointment, they were crystal clear that a small amount of seedless bread was ok during the soft food stage.  They told me that breakfast could be half of an english muffin or some other small piece of bread.  I'm not saying you're wrong... you may very well be exactly right, but it's infuriating that I'm getting back advice from my medical team.

killinmesmalls77
on 7/6/15 2:29 pm - MN
RNY on 05/07/15

I was told that if I wanted bread, it needed to be toasted in order to dry it out so that it wouldn't ball up and sit in the pouch. However, I haven't tried bread of any kind because that is a trigger food for me, so I can't tell you definitively what eating toast is like. 

I agree with the other poster that you should cut the tortillas/bread and start over with the yogurts and pureed foods. See how you do with those and then progress from there. It could be that your body just isn't ready to advance as fast as your program allows. 

Hope you feel better soon. 

HW: 276 SW: 254.1 GW: 125 CW: 154.5

trafficdonna
on 7/6/15 10:01 pm

I just know that soft bread is used as doughballs to catch fish.  Why"  Because with just a little water, bread turns into a lump of dough that sticks together into a ball to put on a hook.  If that happens inside your gut, it blocks the passage from your pouch.  I avoid bread pretty much all of the time.  It has to be really crispy toast or a cracker that breaks down into small crumbs when I chew so that it passes through my opening.  Have your nurse and NUT had the surgery?  I took my advice from only people who had the surgery and were successful--mainly on this board. 

This too will pass, like a kidney stone but it will pass!
sor09
on 7/7/15 8:58 pm

Bariatric requirements are different. Just sayin': Bariatric nutritionist will suggest different foods and menu so soon post op. Try to Google Bariatric post op menus online to really see what you should or should not be eating this early on. Take it to them and show them what you found. White carbs are a real no-no, and eating like you did pre op wont work for a long time. Your stitches take awhile to heal and stuff can get stuck and hurt a lot, just to name a few. I hope you are taking your vitamins, they are for life too. I hope things get better for you soon.

NHPOD9
on 7/6/15 3:27 pm

This is the advice I would give too. All the vomiting has irritated your pouch and esophagus. Go back to liquids for at least 24 hours and slowly introduce soft/puréed foods, maybe even one new food a day. You may be following your surgeon's plan, but that doesn't mean you can tolerate the foods on it. Breads, rice, and pasta are not only hampering to weightloss efforts, they are known to cause many discomfort. 

If, after pampering your stomach for the next two or three days, you are still vomiting, insist on seeing your doctor. You could be developing a stricture. 

~Jen
RNY, 8/1/2011
HW: 348          SW: 306          CW:-fighting regain
    GW: 140

He who endures, conquers. ~Persius

Kathyjs
on 7/7/15 7:26 am

You don't need me to say ' you ate WHAT' 

Most Active
Recent Topics