I think I've messed up, but am trying to fix it.

Ariann555
on 7/6/15 3:36 pm
RNY on 06/12/15

Thank you, yes my muti does have Iron, I was told to make sure it had iron in it.

NHPOD9
on 7/6/15 3:42 pm

Then the advice not to take it with calcium is correct. 

I take an "over 50" multi that does not contain iron, so I do take my multi and calcium together. I take iron separately at night, with vitamin C. Because any form of calcium interferes with iron, I find it hard in the morning and afternoon to make sure I'm not consuming any dairy products. 

~Jen
RNY, 8/1/2011
HW: 348          SW: 306          CW:-fighting regain
    GW: 140

He who endures, conquers. ~Persius

DanaDenise
on 7/6/15 7:32 pm

My multi vitamin has iron, and I was told not to take it with Calcium also.  My nutritionist told me to take Centrum Chewables.  They are orange flavored, and a little tart.  It took me a little time to get used to the taste, but I didn't have a major problem.  I would not recommend swallowing whole pills, I had to cut my Metformin into fourths, and even had it get stuck once.  It is not pleasant!

Marys1521
on 7/9/15 1:56 pm

You need to make sure that your multi does not contain Iron. I've reduced my iron some due to horrible constipation. Hopefully my August labs will be ok.

bublegirl1
on 7/6/15 3:05 pm
RNY on 11/10/14

Since I use an iron supplement anyway, I ise a multi without iron so I can take my first dose of calcium with it since I have to take it four times a day. Gives me a head start 

-Amie

karenp8
on 7/6/15 1:59 pm - Brighton, IL

According to the American Society of Metabolic and Bariatric Surgeons guidelines there is NO need to take chewable vitamins and tablets or capsules are just fine. The only exception to that is B12 which needs to be sublingual,nasal or shot form. Also even though many surgeons recommend Bariatric vitamins(probably because they sell them in office or the hospital pharmacy and make money) the ASMBS says two doses of a good multivitamin like Centrum is just as fine. I am three years post op and my blood work is better than it was pre surgery. I take two store brand Centrum a day.

bublegirl1
on 7/6/15 3:03 pm
RNY on 11/10/14

I take my multi as a capsule that I get from vitamin shoppe. Since it's a capsule it has a little five to it and I get it down a lot better. Also the kind I get has 200% of the main vitamins and minerals so I only have to take one capsule. 

-Amie

NHPOD9
on 7/6/15 3:16 pm

Are you getting enough fluids? Are you taking an acid blocker? Nausea can really make you feel awful. I'm not sure missing vitamins for 12 days is the cause of your discomfort. Don't get me wrong...you need to take vitamins. But I have doubts that starting your vitamins again is going to fix the issue, as it is not like you have been deficient for long. Heck, my program didn't even have us start vitamins until a month postop. I have a feeling your icky-ness is related to something else. 

~Jen
RNY, 8/1/2011
HW: 348          SW: 306          CW:-fighting regain
    GW: 140

He who endures, conquers. ~Persius

Cooter N.
on 7/6/15 6:34 pm

I am 5 months out a was a rebel for a short time with the bad habits of not taking vitamins. I felt really bad. Began immediately back on them.

Surgery 2/3/15 Band to RNY Hw:272 CW:262   

Doingrightin2015
on 7/7/15 3:04 am
RNY on 03/10/15

I always hated taking pills before surgery. But my doctor told me that was the one thing he would get on me about was if  I showed up a year later looking and feeling like crap because I was not taking my vitamins. I have a routine established and take them everyday. I have my vitamin d3, Colace and calcium first thing when I get up. Have my coffee and then about 2-2&1/2 hours later I have my multi vit and iron with breakfast. I take my b12 subligunel once a week right after I take my first batch of meds in the morning.

Doingitright2015

HW in life 282 HW265 at start SW 244 CW170

Most Active
Recent Topics