Poo problems

(deactivated member)
on 7/4/15 7:52 pm
RNY on 06/30/15

I'm sorry to be blunt,  but I'm about 5 days post op and I just now had my first BM. it took me over an hour,  was HUGE and rock hard.  I had cold sweats and thought about calling an ambulance several times during the ordeal.  I ended up sort of numbing myself by running scalding ho****er over my bung in the bathtub in the fetal position.  I'm OK for now,  but I NEVER want to experience that again!  

Not sure if it matters,  but I have always been regular,  sometimes 2-3x per day, even on my pre op diet.  Also,  not sure if this had anything to do with it,  but earlier today I got down my first protein shake post op.  

Again,  I'm terribly sorry for the nasty nature,  but does anyone else have this problem?  If so,  what works to prevent it?  

cspotrun
on 7/4/15 8:10 pm
RNY on 07/01/14

I hear that a lot of people take Mirilax post op.  Might help.  My doc told me if I had problems to take Milk of Magnesia, just temporarily post op.  That sounds awful what you had.  Maybe call your nurse/surgeon to see what to do so you don't have a repeat.

Karen   

(deactivated member)
on 7/4/15 8:15 pm
RNY on 06/30/15

Thanks,  I will call the office on Monday.  Having someone pick up some mirilax and bring it to me in the morning.  It may be buried in the paperwork somewhere,  but no one mentioned it to me as part of after care.  :(  it caught me of guard and scared me as much as anything!  Thanks again! 

Bonroxie19
on 7/4/15 8:13 pm

So sorry to hear about your day.  But if you were to put in the search engine above you will find most of us have suffered through that first day.   You will see some people do stool softener, fiber, tea etc.   have to see what works for you.   That one day is the only horrible day I have had in my whole 4.5 months.   As time went on everything now works better.  I excercise daily and with out any meds I am regular.  

Good luck to you. 

Rny. Best thing I ever did for myself

Bonnie RNY 2/11/15 by Dr. Takahaski

5'3" SW 230 pounds, GW per Dr. Takahaski 150 pounds, CW 132 pounds (10/1/17)

BMI 19% Bod Pod test 1/29/17 13.1 mile half marathon, 1 hour 59 mins (8/21/2017)

(deactivated member)
on 7/4/15 8:17 pm
RNY on 06/30/15

Thank you for the ideas. The search feature has not been working on here for me in about a week.  It always worked before and got me through many questions pre op,  but it hasn't been working and I get an error message lately.  So i apologize if I broke any rules by asking,  but again,  I do appreciate the answers.  

selhard
on 7/4/15 9:09 pm - MN
RNY on 11/26/12

My #1 complaint is #2       Here's some ideas that seem to help:  a) quit store-bought protein bars. b) limit protein powder to one scoop per day choosing protein from foods instead.  c) each morning before breakfast, drink over 20 ounces of WARM water mixed with a capful of Miralax (think Miracle).  d)  take a probiotic pill every other day.  e)  drink Kefir.  f)  increase intake of fats; for example, I add one tablespoon of flaxseed oil in a daily, homemade, protein smoothie.  g) stay on a strict routine because my digestive system seems sensitive to non-routine; travel is avoided, even one day away from home is like asking for trouble. h) remember inactivity is like asking for trouble, too.

selhard
on 7/4/15 2:24 pm, edited 7/4/15 2:36 pm - MN
RNY on 11/26/12

I just noticed you are 5 days post-op!  FYI, my problems didn't start until 3 to 6 months post-op.  Above, is a compilation of ideas I tried from suggestions posted on OH.  You are so newly post-op, a better suggestion for you would be to consult with your medical team first and foremost.  They may have more immediate remedies to help you avoid straining, so please give them a call. 

Marys1521
on 7/4/15 9:55 pm

I'm about two months post-op. I have had this problem ever since surgery. I'm lucky if I go once a week. When I do go,it is like trying to pass a huge,rock hard brick. If this is TMI, I'm sorry! I think some of my problem may be do to all of the iron we have to take! I take three stool softeners a day, periodically use Miralax, have twice thrown in a laxative too. I did eat an apple yesterday, ( I'm not sure it was even "allowed"), but it did give me some much needed relief today. I hope this does not become a long standing problem for you.i think some people have made some good suggestions. At only five days out, I don't think that there is much you can do in the food category.

(deactivated member)
on 7/4/15 4:56 pm, edited 7/4/15 4:56 pm
RNY on 06/30/15

Iron!  I'm not sure why I didn't think of that,  but I bet that's what caused it!  I started my supplement yesterday,  and I remember now that years ago I had issues with iron and my BM. Of course I plan on talking to my doctor/team come Monday,  but I will definitely skip the supplement until I get in touch with them.  They did say to take my time and that I didn't have to start it right away. Thank you! 

meanjelly
on 7/5/15 4:25 am

the pain meds can also casue this

RNY 6/26/15       HW360      SW290      GW200

Most Active
Recent Topics