Can you average protein across multiple days?

(deactivated member)
on 6/29/15 5:59 pm
RNY on 05/04/15

Overall, I've had no problem getting all my protein in, but my hunger level varies a lot from day to day. My goal is 60g of protein a day, and I usually get at least 70-80, but maybe once a week I just don't get there. How important is that to hit 60g every day if I average way more than that per day in a week? For example, yesterday I got 114g. Today my only exercise was a ~5 mile bike ride to the grocery store, so I just wasn't as hungry as usual and got 41g. Should I try to get another 19g today even though I'm not hungry (by adding a shake or something), or is it ok to average with yesterday, which will more than even out?

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 6/29/15 6:33 pm - OH

Not getting in all of the "required" protein just one or two days a week is not going to cause problems, especially if you are close, so don't worry about it.  

Unless you have a problem absorbing protein, though, you also don't need over 100 g in a day!  Some people actually end up consuming more calories simply for the sake of getting in extra protein when, ironically, they don't need that much protein.  Most RNYers seem to do just fine (based on their labs) with protein intake of just 60-70g per day.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Peppermint73
on 6/29/15 7:04 pm - Canada

That is a very good question. I have often wondered that myself but never new how to word it. 

lynnc99
on 6/29/15 9:42 pm

I find that I have days that I'm just not hungry - and then there are the days I think of as my "big eating" days. I think it's really a sign of progress to be able to listen to our bodies and not force feed ourselves! Overall you'll be fine if most of your days are at or slightly above the target level. 

molly3613
on 6/30/15 8:04 am - TX
RNY on 01/24/13

In the beginning, when I took my food log to my NUT, she would add up the days of the week and divide by 7 on everythjng ... Calories, fat, protein, carbs etc.  She said it was what they do. Very logical.  So I keep that in mind when I have an off day and try to back it up with a super duper day.  But this is just my NUT.

DanaDenise
on 6/30/15 10:43 pm

My doctor told me that your body works in averages.  So if most days you have a little more and other days a little less, you're in good shape!

Most Active