Trouble with insurance approving iron infusions?

GirlyQ
on 6/29/15 10:31 am - ID
RNY on 07/30/12

Has anybody ever had trouble with their insurance approving iron infusions? (or success with approving it after an appeal) I have Blue Cross of Idaho my PCP is not having luck with them approving the iron infusion request. My Ferritin level is a 3, iron is

Kathy S.
on 6/29/15 11:48 am - InTheBurbs, XX
RNY on 08/29/04 with

Hi GirlyQ

Sorry to hear the trouble you are having.  If you can't get infusions approved check with your doctor and see if this is a good alternative for you.  My iron dropped drastically and lost a ton of hair.  I didn't want infusions so I tried this liquid iron. I take an ounce daily with some orange juice.  It worked great for me!  

If your doctor says try it let me know as there are some absorption rules I and others that take this follow.

Good Luck!

Iron Supplement (Ferrous Sulfate) Liquid 16 oz., 1 Bottle

HW:330 - GW:150 - MW:118-125

RW:190 - CW:130

GirlyQ
on 6/29/15 1:23 pm - ID
RNY on 07/30/12

I will check with him, thank you Kathy!!

Kathy S.
on 6/29/15 1:30 pm - InTheBurbs, XX
RNY on 08/29/04 with

Your Welcome!  I hope it works out for you.  If you do here are some rules we RNY'ers follow if we take liquid iron.

Liquid is best but it stains teeth so if you do this, make sure to toss the iron back or use a straw to keep if off teeth.  Try this until your next test.  I take a whole ounce every day.  We need more than the average person.  I mix it with about 2 ounces of OJ or grapefruit juice.  Makes it way easier to take.  But you can chew Vitamin C supplement with it and it's best on an empty stomach.  I just take it last thing at night then I have the 2 hours 'after' covered :)  

Here are my iron rules.  

1.      Do not take calcium supplements or vitamins containing calcium within 2 hours either side of taking iron.  Calcium and iron bind together and leave the body with no benefit of either. 

2.      Take only liquid iron and take it with a little orange juice or a chewable vitamin C….iron needs acid to absorb.  Liquid isn’t as constipating as pills, but if it’s a problem, increase fiber during the day.

3.      NO coffee or tea (herbal is ok) within 2 hours either side of taking iron.  It’s not the caffeine; it’s the tannic acid that inhibits iron absorption.

4.      NO soy products within 2 hours either side of taking iron.

5.      Very important…..NO dairy within 2 hours either side of taking iron.  That includes butter, milk, cream, cream cheese, ice cream, yogurt, cottage cheese…..NO DAIRY.  

6.      Try not to eat foods that are high in calcium or calcium supplemented when eating iron rich foods.  IE…..don’t have butter and sour cream on a baked potato when you have that steak J

7.      Cook as much as you can in cast iron.  

Some iron rich foods include:         

Red meat        

Egg yolks        

Dark, leafy greens (spinach, collards)

Dried fruit (prunes, raisins)

Iron-enriched cereals and grains (check the labels)

Mollusks (oysters, clams, scallops)

Turkey or chicken giblets

Beans, lentils, chick peas and soybeans

Liver

Artichokes

Some calcium rich foods include:

Cheese

Yogurt

Milk

Sardines

Dark leafy greens like spinach, kale, turnips and collard greens

Fortified cereals

Fortified orange juice

Soybeans

Fortified soymilk

Enriched breads, grains and waffles  

Keep me posted on how you are doing!

HW:330 - GW:150 - MW:118-125

RW:190 - CW:130

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 6/29/15 6:39 pm - OH

Do you (your PCP) have documentation of the iron supplements that you have tried that aren't raising your levels?  Sometimes they won't approve it until you have shown that it is the only option.

Your actual iron level isn't in your post, but if your values are very low, you don't really want to wait for oral supplements to kick in!  Did they give you a reason for denying approval??

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Most Active