I can't win LOL

AmyDee123
on 6/29/15 8:20 am - Lutz, FL
RNY on 06/12/15

So I was so excited to drink my protein shake this morning because I have not been hitting my protein and water goals daily.  I woke up early, drank a bit of water, waited 30 minutes, grabbed my RTD Premier Protein chocolate shake.  Opened it and grabbed my little ounce measure cup and started sipping.  I got about half way through the shake and found myself full.  Ok, awesome!  15g of protein for the morning, and I can add the liquid to my daily total.  

About 20 minutes later I started getting stomach cramping, then shakiness and sweating, I ran to the bathroom and started to vomit foam (I now understand the foamies) while dealing with diarrhea.  Basically dealt with that for about 20 minutes, and just wanted to curl up on the cold tile and make it all go away.  The stomach cramps were terrible, and I was sweating through my pj's.  In moments of clarity I looked up my symptoms and everything said "dumping syndrome" but I was always told that you can't dump on a protein shake.  When my stomach finished flipping upsidedown I crawled back to my bed and got in.  3 hours later I woke up, still wet from sweat, I feel fine but I am REALLY drained and don't eel like doing anything.  My daughter had to help me get into a change of clothes (I'm still healing from the second surgery and already weak and in pain) and she helped me back into bed.

This was supposed to be my answer.  I don't get it.  Now I'm sitting here eating a yogurt (Dannon light and fit greek 80 cals and 12g protein) EXTREMELY slowly hoping it won't send me into another death spiral, and I know I shouldn't but I'm drinking ice water with my meal.  I am already at a deficit because of the vomiting and diarrhea.  Its not going to cause me to get hungry again.  I don't even want to look at food.  I'm only eating cause I have to try and get my protein.

This wasn't supposed to be this hard.  

To top it all I have been having REALLY vivid dreams and they are so real and scary.  Last night it was that my husband left me for another woman and sent our kids away to school.  I woke up devastated.  He was a typical man about it and said "Its not true, I'm not going away" and expected that to be that.  But I am still dealing with the reactionary emotions and I can't shake them.  (no i don't suspect my husband, its just the emotions I am dealing with) and I am already dealing with the hormone dumps from the fat loss or maybe its the emotion reaction from going through 2 surgeries, but I am a wreck.  

Can I just sleep through the next 6 months and wake up skinny?  That would be so much easier.

LapBand Weight 460 (2006) | Panni Removal Weight 200 (2008) | 3rd kid (2009)
Revision to RNY Weight 355 (June 2015)

kbmerritt84
on 6/29/15 9:15 am
with

So dumping can totally happen with protein shakes.  It's not common, but it happens.  I would definitely call your surgeons office and ask if they have any guidance.  Also, if the yogurt is working for you, then go with that.  

As for the rest, I have nothing.  I am so sorry that you're going through this hell.  I genuinely hope that things will improve for you. 

The dreams, they will pass as the hormones do.  I have PTSD and for me, they never pass, but I understand how awful they are.  Maybe talk to your husband about it and remind him that you are going through something that is more rough than expected and while you may seem a bit emotionally needy right now, it's really important to you that you have his support at this time. Hopefully he will understand. 

Good luck!

AmyDee123
on 6/29/15 9:58 am - Lutz, FL
RNY on 06/12/15

I planned out my food for the day in the "whats on your menu" thread and looked at my totals.  If I can eat the 3 meals and 2 snacks and get all the food in that I have planned I can get 40g of protein.  That's pretty good and better than I have been doing.  That is minus the protein shake.  I think I'm going to try to focus on Protein Forward and make sure that everything that goes in my mouth is nothing but protein for now.  That sadly means no more greens for right now but I am sure I can add that in.  

My doc is so funny.  He said the answer was bacon.  Thank god I had some in the fridge.  He said the fat will help my digestion, the slices are packed with protein, and I just need to watch the sodium.  So I am having 2 slices of bacon later today.  I'm a bit excited.  :)

I am trying to maintain my smile through all of this.  Seems someone up there is making sure I work really hard for this so I appreciate it.  LOL  

kbmerritt84
on 6/29/15 10:02 am
with

Not gonna lie : I hope the answer is bacon for everything. that sounds like the best!

AmyDee123
on 6/29/15 11:18 am - Lutz, FL
RNY on 06/12/15

That's exactly what I said!

rocky513
on 6/29/15 10:27 am - WI

Not all shakes are created equal.  Many of them contain LOTS of sugar, fat, and carbs.  Check the label.  If it contains more than 5 grams of sugar, that may be the problem.  Also shakiness, stomach cramps, and diarrhea are symptoms of lactose intolerance.  Check the label for whey concentrate.  If it contains whey concentrate, it contains lactose.  Whey isolate is 99% lactose free.  A lot of shakes mix these two proteins.  If you are lactose intolerant, you have to find a whey isolate only shake and mix it with a milk substitute (water, soy milk, almond milk, cashew milk, etc.)

HW 270 SW 236 GW 160 CW 145 (15 pounds below goal!)

VBG Aug. 7, 1986, Revised to RNY Nov. 18, 2010

AmyDee123
on 6/29/15 11:23 am - Lutz, FL
RNY on 06/12/15

It was a premier protein chocolate shake, ready to drink.  5g of carbs, only 1g of sugar, 3g of fat.  It does say it has whey concentrate.  But I've had cottage cheese, milk, yogurt, and cheese without incident.  wouldn't those things cause me a problem if i am suddenly lactose intolerant?  Not saying that isn't the answer, but just trying to figure out the answer.  I had only drank about 4 to 5 ounces of the shake before these issue****

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 6/29/15 5:51 pm - OH

If the shake has sugar alcohols in it for sweetness, your reaction may have been to that. 

It does sound like dumping, but dumping by definition is caused by sugar/carbs...

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

lynnc99
on 6/29/15 10:01 pm

See my reply below - I have had 2 serious dumping episodes. One - protein shake (same one I'd used for ages....) Two - Life cereal with milk. Both were full blown dumps, hopefully not to be repeated! Crazy thing is I can manage a modest amount of sugar ok....but every so often my body will revolt. 

AmyDee123
on 6/29/15 11:24 am - Lutz, FL
RNY on 06/12/15

I'm also allergic to egg protein on a mild level so i can't do egg protein based shakes either.

Most Active