Got my date and i'm having RNY Worries.

loops
on 6/29/15 4:44 pm - CA

Excellent information, thank you.  One last question for you, if you had s chance to do it over again would you have selected a different procedure or would you choose RNY all over again?

H.A.L.A B.
on 6/29/15 6:21 pm

RNY - no, never. VSG - absolutely. (i didn't know about VSG.).. 

But at the same time -severe GERD- VSG may not be an option. 

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 6/29/15 6:05 pm - OH

Unfortunately, there isn't anything you can do to prevent developing reactive hypoglycemia.  Even if you develop it,you can control it by eating appropriate proportions of protein, fat, and carbs at each meal, though.  

Hala's case of RH is severe, unfortunately, but she has still been able to make the difficult adjustments to her eating to keep it as much under control as she can.  For most people it is just a matter of having a higher protein to carb ratio (and, for some, getting a small amount of fat in there as well).

With your medical history, it sounds like RNY is the only practical choice for you.  The majority of people have RNY and have no problems whatsoever or have only minor issues early out. When you read post about problems on here, just keep in mind that it is the people who are having problems that post more frequently so it makes it look like a higher percentage of people have trouble than is actually the case.  (it is rare for someone to post just to say "six weeks/months out and no problems whatsoever".)

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

loops
on 6/29/15 6:21 pm - CA

Thank you ****rogirl, that's exactly what my doctor said.     Makes me feel much better to read that her as well. 

Most Active