3 Weeks Out - Advice for pureed food that will not make me sick. And smells?

tchr440
on 6/28/15 3:49 am

Hi, I am 3 weeks out from RNY and have been doing SO well.  However, this  week, I was allowed to start pureed foods and soups, and things have been rough.  Everything I try gives me diarrhea.  The past few days, even the protein shakes are upsetting my stomach, and this has gone on for 4 or 5 days.  I am constantly in the bathroom, and I don't know when a sudden stomach attack will strike.  I am struggling to get in enough water so I will not get dehydrated.  I called the doc on Friday and the PA in the office put me back on clear liquids until I can talk to the nutritionist on Monday.  What pureed foods went down well for all of you?  I have not questioned my decision to have surgery at all until today, and I am wondering if I am always going to be sick, and if I am EVER going to be able to eat anything at all again.  And what about SMELLS?  My sense of smell is SO intensified.  I can't stand the smell of garlic, for example, and I used to love it. The emptier I am, the more intense the repulsive smell factor. Does the intensity and repulsion I am experiencing with smells subside later, or is this permanent?

Missella20
on 6/28/15 9:58 am
RNY on 07/11/13

I think the smells and tastes were intensified for 6 months or so. It does go away or subside. And my appetite was decreased at the beginning too. I think I had a lot of creamed soups and chili at that time. And of course lots of proteins shakes and yogurts and cottage cheese. The cottage cheese was probably my favorite because everything else seemed so sweet to me. And I liked melted cheese on everything!

HW 264    SW 234    CW 149    5'4" 

rocky513
on 6/28/15 11:43 am - WI

Could you be lactose intolerant?  Read the label on your shakes.  If your shake contains whey concentrate, it contains lactose.  Whey isolate is 99% lactose free.  If you are using a 100% whey isolate protein powder, try mixing your shakes with water, soy milk, almond milk, or cashew milk.  Most people with lactose intolerance can still eat cheese and Greek yogurt, but milk and cream sends them straight to the bathroom.

It took several months for me to figure out that my shakes where the reason I was nauseated and had chronic diarrhea.  As soon as I changed to a lactose free powder, and stopped drinking milk based foods, my problems stopped. 

I was sensitive to smells for a LONG time.  It does get better.

HW 270 SW 236 GW 160 CW 145 (15 pounds below goal!)

VBG Aug. 7, 1986, Revised to RNY Nov. 18, 2010

Most Active