Getting ready to have a bypass at 64 - any other seniors here?

tchr440
on 6/28/15 3:29 am

I am also 64, and after jumping through a lot of hoops, I had my RNY surgery on June 9, 2015.  i am doing well and have already lost about 18 pounds.  I had lost more on my own before the surgery.  My doctor assures me that I am not nearly his oldest patient.  I am already off several medications.  Like you, my arthritic knees are a bother, but I am hoping for some relief as I lose weight.  My ortho doctor gave me some good advice. He encourages that I maintain all protein requirements and get some resistance training so that my muscles will be able to offer the support that my arthritic joints need.  Good luck to you!  The surgery was MUCH easier than I anticipated, and my recovery has gone well.

Mary Gee
on 6/28/15 11:09 am - AZ
VSG on 05/14/14

I will be 64 in September -- Had WLS (VSG) last May -- I am so glad I had it; my life has changed so much for the better.  I have so much more mobility and a lot more energy.  I am amazed every day by how good my life is.  I won't say I'm in perfect health, but I'm in much better health.  No, I am now out jogging or cycling..... but I am doing yard work and gardening, I'm not using a wheelchair any longer, I have the agility to get up and go when I want to!

Congratulations on your upcoming surgery!

Mary

HW: 380 SW: 324 GW: 175  

spatch
on 6/28/15 4:19 pm

I had my RNY on May 7 and I'm 63. I've lost 51lbs and am off my diabetes meds! I have arthritis in my back and had the surgery in anticipation of more back surgery. I'm getting through the day now without even thinking about pain. My postop was much easier than I thought it would be. I wish you the best!

gbsinsatx
on 6/28/15 4:23 pm - San Antonio, TX

I had my RNY surgery at 55 and I am now 60. Please see my profile page if interested. I detail my experience with RNY there.

Age at RNY: 55, Height: 5'4", Consultation Weight: 331 lbs-12/1/2009, RNY Surgery Weight: 281 lbs-3/22/2010, Goal Weight Reached: 141 lbs-6/23/2011, Lowest Weight: 126 lbs-12/11/2011

Current Age: 61, Current Weight: 161 lbs-5/20/2016Total Weight Loss Maintained: 170 lbs  

Nola68
on 6/29/15 10:41 am

I had RNY on 7/22/2014 at age 66.  No complications, off of pain meds after day & a half, I asked for Tylenol for the ride home just in case.  I was tired for quite awhile, I took off 4 weeks from work so I could learn how to eat and drink.

I am off blood pressure and cholesterol meds, have more energy than I've had in a long time.  I can clean my house without having to sit down every 15 minutes.  I also have arthritis in my lower back and neck, have had both knees replaced.  I have gone from a 20 to a 8 or 10. 

Good luck to you, you will feel so much better!

67 Years old - HW 252 - SW 231 - CW 149 - GOAL 145  RNY 7/22/2014

Catsi51
on 6/29/15 3:35 pm

Thank you for the response. So many kind people have replied, and all the replies have been positive. I have already had one knee replaced and have some serious arthritis in my hips and other knee. I don't know if the surgery will totally take care of that but it will certainly help, I know. I have moderately high blood pressure and I think with weight loss I will be able to get off the blood pressure med - before becoming heavy -actually even after I WAS heavy, up until my late 50's I had low or normal blood pressure.... I don't have to worry about returning to work b/c I am retired. I have gout in my feet and when it flares, oh lord that is some of the worst pain I've ever felt! I know gout can be directly related to obesity so I am hoping for relief from that too. I'm so looking forward to all the positive changes I know will come in to my life from this surgery!

Most Active