Looking into Getting RNY

lupie
on 6/27/15 3:21 pm

I'm looking at getting an RNY, surgery is scheduled for September, what I'm looking for is any long-term effects of the surgery that could crop up, I just want to be prepared for anything and make an informed decision because this is a major choice to make.  I could use some help.  Thanks,

Lupie

Kathyjs
on 6/27/15 5:10 pm

Long term, hmm I can walk for miles, I can dance , I can keep up with the grandchildren, wear that cute little outfit. But seriously have to watch vitamins and fluid. My D tanked on me 10 years out. I hurt !!! Now on 50,000 of D and no more bone pain. I was slack on water and didn't realize that was what was causing my dizzy spells. It's a whole new way of life, it's definately not the easy way out. I would do it again in a heartbeat

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 6/27/15 5:46 pm - OH

Most of the things that can crop up are related to vitamin deficiencies.  Those can create a wide variety of issues, though, which will vary a lot from one person to another, so there isn't any way for us to give you a list of all of them. Just be sure that you are willing to take vitamins 4 times a day, every day, for the rest of your life (and get a full set of lab work at least once a year). You will also want to get a baseline DEXA scan (bone scan) and then get one every 2 years, since that is the only true way to know if you are losing bone mass.

Gallbladder problems can come up with any rapid weight loss, with or without surgery, so that doesn't really count.

The most common long-term issues that can come up after the initial post-op period that aren't vitamin related are reactive hypoglycemia, ulcers, and kidney stones.

The RH can be controlled by eating a balance of protein, carbs, and fat at each meal and eating on a regular basis.  The incidents of kidney stones can be minimized and controlled to a certain degree (depending on how prone you are to them, which we often don't know until after the surgery) by drinking more water, eating less sodium, avoiding calcium carbonate, and taking medication (depending on the type of stones).

As far as the ulcers, the best thing you can do is adhere to the prohibition on taking NSAIDs, which can cause ulcers both in the pouch (or sleeve) and, for RNYers, in the blind remnant stomach (which is very difficult to treat). That means taking nothing but Tylenol or prescription pain meds (which can be a ***** if you have arthritis!), and avoiding cold, sinus, or other meds (like Pepto Bismol) that contain aspirin, ibuprofen, or other NSAIDs.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

indybuttercup
on 6/28/15 7:18 am - Indianapolis, IN

7 yrs out, so healthy, wish I did it 10 years earlier. Walk, dance, live a normal life. Low calcium because I didn't take it like I should. 

loops
on 6/28/15 4:49 am, edited 6/28/15 4:49 am - CA

Hello, I am going through this motion myself.  I am scheduled for RNY August 4th and i'm pretty much worried of the long-term side effects, mainly the hypoglycemia.  I've been reading different posts though and found that if we stick to a healthy balanced diet and keep up with the supplements we can avoid it.  Good luck and best wishes for your upcoming surgery.    I appreciate the replies to the original question, has been very informative.

Nickeliz
on 6/29/15 7:16 pm - Atlanta, GA
RNY on 06/18/13

I'm two years out and and feel so fortunate to have had this surgery. I've had a few problems with foamies, vomiting,  dumping, and RH and every single time it was a natural consequence to doing something I shouldn't have been doing such as eating too fast, too big of a bite, or too much of the wrong thing. Most of the time I do what I should, but as I get further into maintenance, these are great reminders for me.

I wish I had done this earlier but stubbornly thought I could do it without the surgery. I still have to exercise and watch what I eat as much as I did before the surgery, but the difference now is that I get results from doing those things. 

Good luck with whatever you decide!

amccall
on 6/29/15 9:01 pm

If I had it to do all over, I would go with the lap band. Have not had any major issues with the GBP but 7 years old out I keep hearing bad stuff can happen to you as you get your getting older.. Lap-band.

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 6/30/15 11:47 am - OH

The rate of revision from a Lap Band to a VSG or RNY is extremely high, and the success rate (losing all the desired excess weight) is extremely low.

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

CerealKiller Kat71
on 6/30/15 4:27 pm
RNY on 12/31/13
On June 29, 2015 at 9:01 PM Pacific Time, amccall wrote:

If I had it to do all over, I would go with the lap band. Have not had any major issues with the GBP but 7 years old out I keep hearing bad stuff can happen to you as you get your getting older.. Lap-band.

Most bariatric centers don't even offer the lap band anymore...  There's a good reason.  Take a gander at the revision board.

Of the three majors WLS: 

1. VSG
  2. RNY
  3. DS 

I think that each of them is an excellent surgery depending on your particular situation or need.  That said, they aren't magic: you have to be ready to make lifestyle changes for life to lessen your chances of lifetime problems.  I can't speak to the other surgeries, but for my RNY that means supplements for life, no NSAIDs, no smoking, following my eating plan (to avoid regain), and no/minimal drinking of alcohol.

"What you eat in private, you wear in public." --- Kat

Most Active