Ulcer question....

bublegirl1
on 6/27/15 11:32 am
RNY on 11/10/14

What do they feel like? Every once in a while after taking all my morning supplements I get a little heart burn feeling then I start getting getting nauseous and my mouth waters like crazy. I've never gotten heartburn after this surgery. If I take the supplements with a protein shake or milk I am ok. Today I ate first, then took them with milk and within 15 mins I'm feeling like this. Almost threw up. So just wondering what it could be. I already had my gallbladder out a few months ago. My surgeon is an hour away so I usually email him. Last couple times I did he won't respond to me now. 

-Amie

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 6/27/15 4:48 pm - OH

That doesn't sound like an ulcer (which would hurt at many times other than when you take your vitamins).  When you have  a very small pouch (or sleeve) instead of your normal stomach (which has additional gastric juices), it is more easily bothered by medications and vitamins, especially if you are only taking  them with a small amount of liquid (which means they are just sitting, dissolving in your tiny pouch).  We don't have the luxury of taking vitamins with food since drinking after eating is prohibited (and if you wait 30 minutes a fete you eat to take the vitamins, your pouch is empty or mostly empty again).

My surgeon suggested taking medication with as much liquid as possible.  That washes the pills out of the pouch and into the intestine where it is much less likely to cause problems. That would be my first suggestion.

I had to get rid of a huge bottle of B-complex vitamins because no matter what I took them with, or much much water I took them with, they made my pouch burn and hurt like crazy. The B-complex I take now doesn't bother me at all.

So if drinking more doesn't help, you may just need to start taking them one at a time to identify which vitamin is the culprit, and then switch brands of that vitamin.  B-complex, C, and iron are more likely to bother your stomach.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

bublegirl1
on 6/27/15 5:28 pm
RNY on 11/10/14

Lora, thanks so much for your reply! My B12 I only take every ten days because I bought such a high dose of it by mistake. My iron and C I take at bedtime and they haven't bothered me. I take one multi capsule without iron, two calcium/d capsules, one zinc capsule, two Zoloft tablets, two large magnesium gel caps all at the same sitting in the morning. So I will try more liquid first and then go from there. 

Again I really appreciate your reply!

-Amie

H.A.L.A B.
on 6/28/15 7:15 am

I am7 years out - I have to divide my morning pills and take them a couple at a time every few minutes. The nause and salivating- and pain I get when I take too many at once and they get stuck in stoma

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Maria27
on 6/28/15 7:54 am - Chicago, IL
RNY on 03/17/15

Large pills still cause me a lot of pain, and they were getting stuck for a while. I would definitely suggest spreading your medications out more, and cut them into smaller pieces if you can. I have to cut my b-complex into four pieces to get it down, and then even a slightly bigger quarter scares me. I also cut my zinc into quarters and open up my Actigall capsules and pour the powder down my throat.

Height: 5'5" HW: 290 Consultation Weight: 276 SW: 257 CW: 132

bublegirl1
on 6/28/15 11:31 am
RNY on 11/10/14

Thank you for all the replies! I feel better about it now and less worried!

-Amie

AR_Queen
on 6/28/15 5:18 pm
RNY on 05/29/13

I had a pretty significant ulcer a few months ago.  It was painful and caused nausea throughout the day.  I also had a strong sensation of food feeling "stuck" at the top of my pouch, and a general feeling of not feeling well.  The last thing that sent me back to my doctor was when I drank enough tea to take my morning vitamins, and it doubled me over in pain.  It was much more significant than heartburn for me.

bublegirl1
on 6/28/15 5:22 pm
RNY on 11/10/14

Ouch! Thanks so much for the information! Since it doesn't happen throughout the day I'm guessing it's not an ulcer. 

-Amie

jenorama
on 6/28/15 10:12 pm - CA
RNY on 10/07/13

When I was having gastritis episodes, I had what felt like severe gas pains right beneath my breastbone and the pain would radiate around to the left. This is pretty much where the stomach is. I didn't have any acid-y, urpy, stuck feeling--just unrelenting pain that would usually last about 12-18 hrs and then go away like nothing ever happened. Limiting my caffeine intake to once a day has eliminated my issue. 

Jen

Most Active