Plateaus and Dizzy Spells

99-DS
on 6/28/15 6:07 am
RNY on 04/09/15

Hi All...I've been hoping the search option would start working again since there's probably a previous post on this...but since it has not (and this forum is amazing), I thought I'd ask the forum peeps my question.  

I had my RNY on 4/9/2015, had one week pre-op liquid diet (lost 9lbs there) and I am down 58.2lbs total so far (crazy amazing).

My biggest issues are that I'm losing lots of hair (I wish I knew how bad it would be), but I had a lot to start with so hoping to get through that without too much distress.

I also hit a lot of plateaus.  Generally, I stay at the same weight for 10 days and then lose 2-3lbs.  Odd, but as long as it keeps coming off, I'm not complaining!  I'm thinking that might be a natural progress for many....staying the course!

My biggest issue is that for the last month I've been having dizzy spells.  The worst is when I either lay down or when I get up from laying down...literally, room spinning stuff.  A bit scary.

I'm doing well with getting my protein in (thank goodness for Premier Protein shakes) and I'm doing ok with water.  I usually get in about 42oz in straigh****er, 12oz coffee, and 22oz Premier Protein daily.  I've always struggled with getting liquids in, but keep trying to increase the amounts each day.

Has anyone else been dealing with this issue?  Any solutions?  Is it a temporary thing (like the hair loss issue), and if so, when does it even out?

I have my first bloodwork/post-surgery appointment on 7/8, so I will definitely as my doctor, but wouldn't mind hearing from the forum group who has lived through these issues.

Thanks in advance everyone.  This forum has been the most helpful to me before/after the journey.

Meggles07
on 6/28/15 6:37 am - Canada

Since surgery I've been having dizzy spells. It feels like my vision goes black, my knees get a bit weak, and sometimes I feel nauseous. I went to my doc and he said I have low blood pressure. He recommended increasing my fluids and salt intake. I called the dietitian at my clinic and she suggested eating more deli meats, salted crackers, pickles, etc. Not great for our plan...

Meg~

99-DS
on 6/28/15 6:53 am
RNY on 04/09/15

Hey Meg...good to know I'm not alone.  My doctor who took my blood work (pending results) took me off my BP meds until the surgeon's appointment.  Will check to see how things are going when I go see the surgeon for other results.  I'll try to add more fluids for now (which is really difficult for me for some odd reason).  Hopefully that will somehow help...even though the spells are kind of erratic.  Thanks!

Meggles07
on 6/28/15 7:02 am - Canada

I have really struggled with the water as well. I downloaded an app on my phone called water my body which lets me track my drinking and gives me reminders -- I think I set 30 minute reminders. They drive me crazy, but I had two days this week where I exceeded my goal which is the first time since surgery. Getting in the salt is also hard. I had normal blood pressure before surgery, and wasn't a big salt eater. I hope your doc can figure things out for you :)

One other quick note: one thing that might be of interest is postural syncope -- this is dizzyness associated with changing position (lying down to sitting or standing), which I find is the most common time I have a dizzy spell. It can also be related to vertigo, which may have different causes.

99-DS
on 6/28/15 7:09 am
RNY on 04/09/15

Thanks again...I'm also going to look into postural syncope (never heard of that before).

MickeyDee
on 6/28/15 3:14 pm

When you start to get up, take your time.  Then take a deep breath, clench your lower belly muscles (like jet pilots do to keep the blood from pooling in the intestines), and stand up slowly.

Also, put a bit more salt in your diet.  

Are you taking any bp meds?  I had to start cutting mine in half after a couple of weeks post-op, then after a week or so, cutting to 1/4 dose for anther two weeks, until stopped.  Consult your PCP or surgeon before doing this.

99-DS
on 6/28/15 3:30 pm
RNY on 04/09/15

Will give it a go thanks!  Yes, my one doctor took my off the BP meds last week and said to tell the surgeon to check during my appointment on 7/8.  Hopefully I'll be off of them permanently.

H.A.L.A B.
on 6/28/15 7:30 am

I need to remember to add salt to things. Mostly see salt. For decades they told us salt is bad, whitout telling us not not enough salt may be worse. 

The quantity and type of food we eat has so little sodium that we are risking low blood pressure, muscle spasms and other problem due to mineral -electrolyte imbalances. NSA natural dill pickles, pickle juice, chicken broth, etc. are my to go choices when I notice I need more salt... 

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

99-DS
on 6/28/15 7:32 am
RNY on 04/09/15

Great information.  Makes a lot of sense.  Appreciate the reply.

Maria27
on 6/28/15 7:42 am - Chicago, IL
RNY on 03/17/15

I have been experiencing the same thing occasionally when I go from sitting from standing or laying to sitting. I noticed that it started happening on days when I wasn't drinking as much water. I have also been struggling with getting my water in, so I have been taking it as a sign that I am getting dehydrated. It seems to get better after I drink a bunch of water, but I have been experiencing it more lately. To the point where I though I might faint a couple of times. My blood pressure was never more than a little elevated before surgery and a nurse told me it kept dropping too low during surgery, so I wouldn't be surprised if low blood pressure is an underlying cause. I am definitely going to bring it up at my next appointment.

Height: 5'5" HW: 290 Consultation Weight: 276 SW: 257 CW: 132

Most Active