Pregnancy

DanaDenise
on 6/26/15 2:34 pm

I just had a one month follow up appointment and learned that birth control pills will not be fully absorbed.  The nurse's assistant suggested I go to the GYN for myrena, birth control patch or depo prevara shot.  She also said that during weight loss women are much more fertile because the fat cells are releasing hormones.  I feel like they were so thorough throughout the whole surgery process.  I don't know how we could have missed that!  I now have to wait for an appointment with the GYN.  Does anyone have any thoughts/personal experiences with different methods of birth control?

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 6/26/15 2:40 pm
RNY on 08/05/19

I've heard a lot of stories about women getting pregnant soon after WLS-- not only is there the hormone aspect, but non-obese women apparently have an easier time conceiving, especially if someone had PCOS prior to surgery.

I had a Mirena IUD prior to surgery and it was AWESOME. Having it put in was kind of painful, but not having to deal with getting a period after that was great!

Plus when I was ready to get pregnant about a year after surgery, my OBGYN removed it and I was pregnant a month later. Makes me glad I had it in the first place...

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

DanaDenise
on 6/26/15 5:30 pm

Thanks for your input! :-)

DanaDenise
on 6/30/15 10:28 pm

Thanks for your input!

(deactivated member)
on 6/26/15 7:06 pm
RNY on 05/04/15

I saw my OB/GYN before my surgery to switch BC methods because I knew the pills wouldn't be well-absorbed. I thought I would opt for an IUD, but I really liked how well hormonal birth control helped control my acne. Because of that, my doc switched me to NuvaRing instead. It's super easy...put it in, replace it every 4 weeks, and my periods have almost disappeared too. We still use condoms too just for extra protection during this immediate post-op period where it would be dangerous for me to get pregnant.

DanaDenise
on 6/30/15 10:26 pm

Thanks for sharing your experience!

H.A.L.A B.
on 6/27/15 5:32 am

There it's also Nuva Ring

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Most Active