Gaining it back

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 6/24/15 8:11 pm - OH

Granite and a toothbrush...  

As someone who is 8 years post-op, menopausal, and trying to lose some weight gained after knee replacement surgery, I love that!

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

jenakins
on 6/25/15 8:34 am

Thank you for this. I started last nigh****er only beverage, no carbs, just protein shakes! Swimming hiking walking gym will be added ASAP

Sharon SW-267
GW-165 CW-167 S.

on 6/25/15 8:02 am - PA
RNY on 12/22/14

You are over 4 years post op and kept 100 pounds off!!   (I am only 6 months, but I have done my research so I am prepared for future issues).  I would be worried about a 60 pound gain.

Can you go back and get a check-up with your surgeon?  They may do a status check on your pouch and see if everything is still OK.  

Sharon

lynnc99
on 6/25/15 1:48 am

...And a check with the doc may be called for. However, most regain is not because of mechanical failure of our surgery. It's behavior and eating habits and those old patterns that lie in wait for us.

avivaps
on 6/25/15 3:03 pm
RNY on 02/28/12

Regain is so hard to face.  Here's my take on it...if we have slipped back into old habits/relationship with food then that is where the problem is.  We all KNOW what to eat (even pre-op most of us were EXPERTS on calories/food breakdown as we had been dieting on/off through a large chunk of our lives).  The problem for me was never knowing what to eat.  Rather it was following through.  For me, the work was in the headspace so that I could follow the rules and stay on course.  Take an honest look at your eating habits and relationship with food.  Is it information/knowledge you need, more organized life, or working on head issues.  Unless you address the SOURCE of the eating issues you will not likely meet with long-term success.  This is a long, arduous journey but we are worth it.  Don't give up.  Do the work and have yourself checked out medically as well.  Then commit to making the changes that you need.  That is how I see the recipe for success.

Andrea.

RNY February 2012

starting BMI 40

Laura in Texas
on 6/25/15 6:33 pm

You need to be honest with yourself about how much you are really eating, otherwise you have no hope of losing weight. Measure your portions and track every bite.

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

Kathyjs
on 6/25/15 7:43 pm

I have never drank a protein shake. You don't need another. 'Diet ' this is your life, you were blessed to be able to have RNY and still have your pouch. You absolutely know what you are doing wrong and don't need to be scolded. You need to clean out the cupboards, get some healthy food in the house, totally ditch the soda. I hate water , loved my coke, lost 10 pounds simply by ditching the coke. I found some grape crush sf stuff at walmart that is really good. THEN you need to remember why you had this surgery and decide you are important enough to do this for you.  You are worth it!!

siberiancat
on 7/1/15 1:00 pm - COLUMBIA CITY, IN

You have good advice.  I also would suggest weighing daily.  Your weight will obviously fluctuate but you will see a "trend" of upward or downward movement.  When I get to 4-5 pounds above my goal weight - I start journaling everything and ALWAYS find I've let high calorie - low nutrition foods/drink "sneak" in.  It helps me be accountable to count calories of every bite and sip of liquid.

I count calories, grams of protein, grams of carbs and ounces of fluid.  I do this for a month or two - until I'm back on track and continue to weigh daily.  I exercise but do not "eat" to cover any calories I've burned.  Calories burned is a bonus!

I also eat protein first at every meal or planned snack, then veggies, fruit and carbs (not from veggies or fruit).  I'm gluten free because of health problem so no bread, crackers, cookies, cake, etc.  I gave up carbonated drinks 6+ years ago.  It's water or iced/hot tea for me.  No juice - it is high sugar/carbs and immediately enters the bloodstream and send out insulin and then turns to fat.

I also choose food as FUEL.  I need foods with nutrition (no empty calories) so my heart, brain, liver, kidneys can function and I can have energy and less likely to catch colds, flu, etc.

Take all your supplements and if you haven't get bloodwork done to make sure you don't have deficiencies.  Join a support group.  You can click on my picture or name to get a list of books I've read that help keep my mind on the focus of eating healthy.

Losing re-gained weight after the "honeymoon" period after RNY is very difficult.  It doesn't come off easily and at least for me very difficult.

Best wishes,

Penny

Penny
Highest Weight 255  * Wt loss includes 19 lb lost before surgery

Most Active