Need OH More Than Ever Now - cross post

caliannie
on 6/23/15 9:30 pm - CA
RNY on 04/14/15

Last Thursday I received a call that my husband had suffered an aortic dissection while he was in Brainerd Minnesota on a week long golf trip with his college buddies. I flew from San Francisco to Minneapolis later Thursday night and drove 2 hours to Duluth where he was flown. He's in ICU while they try to control his blood pressure enough to get him back home. He will be facing surgery in the next couple of months. During the emotional chaos of packing, getting airline tickets and getting to him I had enough brain cells to throw my vitamins and a few packets of Syntrax into my suitcase. I've been able to make pretty decent protein first choices in the hospital cafeteria by chosing turkey or ham sandwiches with cheese and using the lettuce as my bun. We have a mini-frig in the room so my mom & I went grocery shopping and bought greek yogurt, fruit, deli turkey & ham and water. I'm going to run out of protein powder in the next day or so. I was struggling getting my water in before getting 32-40 oz and I'm struggling to keep it up. I'm hyper aware so I've made sure to have a water bottle with me.

Does anyone have a protein powder they like that is store bought? I'll be adding it to coffee hot and cold, water and maybe milk. I love Click and left my stash at home so any suggestion that is close would be appreciated. Any tips on staying on program while traveling?

P.S. The potato chips are screaming my name too. So far I've ignored them.

Carpe Diem!

Height: 5'5"  HW: 237 SW: 237 CW:138 GW: 134   M1: -31  M2: -14  M3:-12  M4: -10  M5: -10  M6: -5 M7: -4 M8: -5 M9: -5 M10: -2 M11: M12: -1

Sheri R.
on 6/23/15 10:14 pm - Aberdeen, WA

Oh my gosh, how scary!!  It is amazing you remembered to take care of you while you were packing. 

When I am on the go I use Premier protein drinks.  You can get them at Walmart or a grocery store (and maybe even a convenience store).  They are premixed and have 30 grams of protein per shake so a couple of them a day and some protein from regular food will keep you in the zone.  The chocolate ones actually taste good to me.  They can be mixed into coffee as a creamer or you can just drink them from the carton. 

I hope your husband gets well enough to make the trip home soon, and I hope you can find some protein sources you can live with until then.   You definitely have your hands full.  :( 

Doingrightin2015
on 6/24/15 1:57 am
RNY on 03/10/15

I agree with the above post on the premier shakes. I love them. I like the chocolate and vanilla the best. Strawberry and cream is good too, just like the others more often. I drink one every morning for my breakfast and get my day started with 30 grams of protein. I drink them straight or mix in a blender with a teaspoon of coffee and sf syrup flavor to give it a different twist also.

I have not tried them but my list had atkin shakes also listed on it. Those might be easy for you to find. Just start reading those labels.

Best wishes for you and your hubby. Hope all goes well and you get him back home soon.

Doingitright2015

HW in life 282 HW265 at start SW 244 CW170

Laura in Texas
on 6/24/15 2:49 am

Muscle Milk Sugar Free or Slim fast high Protein (not regular Slim Fast) is pretty easy for me to find in stores.

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

selhard
on 6/24/15 7:23 am - MN
RNY on 11/26/12

Oh no and your surgery wasn't that long ago, either.  If your DH is at St. Mary's Hospital, you can walk the skywalk over to the clinic pharmacy which carries Beneprotein brand protein powder as well as other bariatric supplies.  If you are at St. Lukes Hospital, you might be able to request the clinic to deliver there.  If interested in testing Minnesota Nice, go to the nutritionist office or one of your favorite nurses, explain your situation, and see if they are willing to supply you with some of their bariatric stash.  They should realize helping you stay on your program helps you support your DH.   Well Wishes to you both.

caliannie
on 6/24/15 12:06 pm - CA
RNY on 04/14/15

Thank you so much. We are at St. Mary's . I didn't think to ask the nurses but they would be my best source. Thank you again.

Carpe Diem!

Height: 5'5"  HW: 237 SW: 237 CW:138 GW: 134   M1: -31  M2: -14  M3:-12  M4: -10  M5: -10  M6: -5 M7: -4 M8: -5 M9: -5 M10: -2 M11: M12: -1

Emiepie
on 6/24/15 7:37 am
RNY on 08/11/14

I don't any suggestions on powder as I haven't used them but wanted to let you know I am sending positive thoughts your way. Hope things get better quickly. Keep getting in your water and vitamins.

RNY 8/11/14 with Dr. Kelvin Higa PS Lipectomy 4/12/17 with Dr. John Burnett HW291.4/CW165/GW150

zombilady
on 6/24/15 7:48 am

I'm l like Emiepie, I can't give any advice on powders as I couldn't tolerate them after surgery--now I know the surgery made me lactose intolerant! My thoughts and prayers are with you, I would've done the same things you're doing, grocery shopping and making sure I avoided carbs when in a pinch at the cafeteria.

lynnc99
on 6/24/15 11:02 am

You've had some good suggestions but I'll toss in one more - find a GNC and get individual packs of AMP protein in the red package. The chocolate has a delicious deep flavor and it mixes well with water. For ready to drink you can certainly go with Premier, Muscle Milk 100, or even the Atkins shakes available at Walmart, Walgreens, or many other stores. 

Best of luck and hoping that your husband recovers well. Don't forget to breathe!

SkinnyScientist
on 6/24/15 11:04 am

EAS chocolate fudge.

RNY Surgery: 12/31/2013; 

Current weight (2/27/2015) 139lbs, ~14% body fat

Three pounds below Goal!!! Yay !  

Most Active