A bit frustrated (sorry in advance for explicit details)

hearnia
on 6/24/15 6:53 am

Thank you for all of your responses.  In hindsight, it seems like it is ridiculous that they suggest a meal like oatmeal and peanut butter during the phase 1 portion of the diet.  Obviously, I won't go near that again for awhile.  But even on the phase 2 diet, they stress moist meat like ground turkey and ground chicken.  So bizarre that most people can't tolerate those foods for much longer.

Guess I'm sticking with fish and very soft stuff for awhile still.  What about tuna fish?

Thank you!

aesposito
on 6/24/15 10:25 am

I did very well on tuna salad and egg salad early on, as long as I chewed. A lot.

I am starting to get really, really angry at how many docs and nuts are recommending oatmeal, mashed potatoes, mac-n-cheese and other high-carb/high sugar foods early after surgery.  What a waste of valuable (and limited) malabsorption time.

Peanut butter I had no problem with, but I went easy on it because it's higher in sugar than some other proteins.  Nearly four years out, I am still hit-or-miss on ground beef... one day I can eat meatloaf, the next day a bunless burger will send me running to the bathroom.

Audrey

Highest weight: 340
Surgery weight: 313
Surgery date: 10/24/11
Current weight 170... 170 pounds lost!!!!

I am not a doctor, but I play one at work.

Jeppa
on 6/24/15 6:44 pm
Revision on 06/02/15

I'm a week into phase 2 and I was only able to get down the turkey if I put it in broth. I haven't tried chicken as of yet, but those little tuna salad pouches are working great for me - they are high in protein, meet my criteria for eating - only 2.5 ounces per pack - and since it is a "salad" it has a bit of dressing that makes it easy to go down.  

12.25.08 - Starting Weight: 408...7.30.09 - Surgery  Weight: 336

6.2.15 - Revision Surgery (Lap removal/RNY) Wt: 295

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 6/25/15 1:17 pm - OH

I wouldn't say that "most" people don't tolerate chicken, et****il they much further out. Some people definitely DO have trouble with them (and some of those have trouble for a very long time), but "most" RNYers have very little trouble with any kind of food as long as they exercise discretion and follow their surgeon's plan.  

You have to keep in mind that when you read posts here, it is the people who are having trouble (whether it is with nausea, pain, getting enough water, or tolerating certain foods) who post about it.  So, in general, it gives the impression that many more people have trouble (of whatever kind) than those who actually do.

My surgeon had a very liberal post-op food plan that put us on soft foods starting on Day Three, and solid foods only a few days later.  I ate a baked buffalo chicken chunk at the beginning of week 2 and had no trouble.  It was actually very rare for patients to have any trouble.  (Of course, she didn't recommend a oatmeal and peanut butter, LOL.)

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

emelar
on 6/25/15 11:11 am - TX

Sounds like you upset your stomach badly and it needs time to calm down before you try anything solid.  Go back one stage for a day or two and then try again.

Peanut butter and oatmeal is an asinine combination.  I can't believe they had it on the plan!  Your focus should be on protein.  As a rule of thumb, you want 10g of protein for every 100 calories.  That would take peanut butter and oatmeal right off the list from the get-go.

Hope things settle down for you!

hearnia
on 6/25/15 11:15 am

Again, thank you everyone for your thoughts.  Yes, I felt better the next day but I still can't believe that those foods were suggested for phase 1.  I've been doing fine with soup/chili... but I couldn't keep down taco meat that I made with ground turkey.  I'm going to try tuna fish to see how that goes.  Crazy that it is so hit and miss.  Hopefully, that uncertainty is only temporary.  I'm nervous about going back to work and trying to order something if I'm at a business lunch... and needing to throw up a few minutes later.  Hopefully, not an issue for very long...

Most Active